Winter feeding?

Action

Location (City and/or State)
Valley Springs, Ca.
My Skittles is 2 1/2 years old and around 30lbs...he/she has a nice warm outdoor house and have heard not to feed them in there house? It is cold out side and skittles doesn't come out right now......how do I feed and water?
Thanks

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Depends upon how big the house is. I have lights in my "night boxes" for wintertime to give them a more summer-like photoperiod. I also will put food in the house for them on those days that never sees sun and stays cold outside. At 30 lbs there is enough thermal mass to come out and eat for a while, then go back in to heat back up. SO you can leave food right outside the doorway as well. I've done both with my sulcatas and now for my galapagos, I put food right outside the door on a "patio area" made of concrete pavers.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I see no reason why to not feed inside the house. As for getting him some internal water intake, I have a couple that haven't quite mastered drinking from a water bowl yet. I give them cucumbers and the dreaded lettuce's even iceberg lettuce along with their regular diet. All of mine come out to eat on a daily basis.

Action

Valley Springs, Ca.
Thanks....house is 4'x6' and stays around 80 deg. F.........no lights but have been thinking about it...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks....house is 4'x6' and stays around 80 deg. F.........no lights but have been thinking about it...
Bump the thermostat up to 86 during this terrible cold spell we are having. I leave them at 86 until spring.

I don't feed mine in their boxes. They come out and eat and then go back in.