Winter Prep

DoubleD1996!

Location (City and/or State)
Memphis
Plenty days of summer left, but it's time to get a jump on winter prep. I'm feeding the animals a little more to make sure their weight is to my liking, and some animals have to come in.

One we start getting in the mid 60s and 40's at night I'll cut all the trees down in the Russian tort enclosure to let in more sun.
20240724_074014.jpg
I'm building more winter houses. I put the russian, hermanns, marginated torts in these with leaves mulch and dirt. No added heat. Works well in Tennessee as our winters can be hit or miss with the rains.
20240809_082739.jpg
I took in a few more torts this summer. Bubbles is among three of them who won't be brumating this winter. A quick backstory, he was neglected by his previous owners.

Kept too dry, and spending eight years in an undersized enclosure. His back legs function, but he can't use them to walk as he was used to dragging his body.

He's improved significantly with a natural diet and sun. He even has a little wheelchair. It's literally just his mindset that he can't use them since he was living in a box. The wheelchair doesn't work well in his outdoor enclosure so he'll have plenty of time to cruise in the house.
20240627_163122.jpg
20240716_185456.jpg
Of course I have to bring in the dragons, frilled, and little red foot.
20240806_185159.jpg
Screenshot_20240720-140526_Gallery.jpg20240717_073925.jpg
Of course the aquatic and box turtles will be fine. Someone wants to get rid of a pair of rhino iguanas for free, but I haven't given a definite answer since I have to keep space in mind.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice, I hate that you are starting already though. The thought of fall/winter, ugh.
Hydrotherapy will help a lot with the rescue. I had a leopard that I rescued and couldn't walk, just dragged himself. Couple times a day hydrotherapy and within no time he was cruising like a pro.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Nice, I hate that you are starting already though. The thought of fall/winter, ugh.
Hydrotherapy will help a lot with the rescue. I had a leopard that I rescued and couldn't walk, just dragged himself. Couple times a day hydrotherapy and within no time he was cruising like a pro.
Ikr. I hate the thought of winter soon as I see tge back to school commercials.

I tried a little hydro therapy; a little more than shallow, but he just sinks, but we've got all...w word🤣

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Hey, I'm right there with you. Gotta get out there and test the heater and reinsulate the doors.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ikr. I hate the thought of winter soon as I see tge back to school commercials.

I tried a little hydro therapy; a little more than shallow, but he just sinks, but we've got all...w word🤣
Yeah, I made it deep and would put a couple fingers under him so he wouldn't sink. I made him go back and forth a few times and then give him a rest. Then back and forth. Several laps each time about three different sessions, daily.