Without this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Stoney creek ontario
What would you do with out this site? Do you think you would be able to raise your tortoises to be the way they are now ? Would you know all the things you know? Would of you even gotten your tortoise(s) with out this site..... I don't think so how do you feel?

blafiriravt

5 Year Member
Vermont
I think we can all relate in one way or another. No, I dont think I would be in any position to keep tortoises without everyone here. I cant beleive the way some people describe how they keep their tort because they were mis informed. I have gatherred everything I know from this site, whether it be new way to tackle pyramiding, to links shared to other information packed sited from very kind people who share the same passion. Its a good feeling knowing when you sign on there is at least a dozen other giddy tort geeks who feel the same love for keeping these magnificent ancients.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I would likely not have known about Sudanese locale sulcatas and would therefore not be likely to own any. Beyond that, no personal effect.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I got my leopard before I found this site. So as for that, yes I would still have a tortoise. Now, if I hadn't found this site, and just kept listening to the breeder, well, he would probably be dead or the pyramiding would have gotten worse. I only use this site for info now. I would not want to raise one without this site and I wish we could get everyone owning, buying, selling, rescuing, raising, etc a tortoise to follow the guidance from TFO

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What I consider the most valuable gain about my time on the forum is a deeper understanding of the physiological and taxonomic side of tortoises. Without the forum, I don't think I would have ever had the motivation to dig as deeply as I have, so to speak.

And, not to sound boastful or anything of the sort, but I was doing very well before finding the forum with all of my tortoises in growing them healthy and smooth. But the forum has helped me to be more efficient (for lack of a better word) by trying different husbandry methods and techniques I otherwise would never have thought of. Overall I feel that the knowledge I've gained here has elevated my husbandry techniques from good to better.

mattgrizzlybear

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I love this site and don't know where I would be. I also bought my tort from a breeder on this site. This place is awesome!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I had quite a bit of tortoise experience before I joined the forum...around 35 years worth. This is a very long time, and in a long time like that, you tend to become complacent and know-it-allish. I have learned quite a bit from all the members here on the forum, but most of all I have learned that we don't know it all and its good to keep an open mind. One has to grow and change all the time, for the sake of the tortoises' well being. I have made quite a few changes to my tortoise-keeping and my tortoises are all the better for the changes.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
I had Kiwi for about a year before I found this place and without it I would not have the info needed to stop Kiwi's pyramiding. I got Lyra through a member on here. I also discovered fauna and king snake through this site so without this site I couldn't have influenced my bf into getting Hana.

Overall this site is AWESOME!! :D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emysemys said:
I had quite a bit of tortoise experience before I joined the forum...around 35 years worth. This is a very long time, and in a long time like that, you tend to become complacent and know-it-allish. I have learned quite a bit from all the members here on the forum, but most of all I have learned that we don't know it all and its good to keep an open mind. One has to grow and change all the time, for the sake of the tortoises' well being. I have made quite a few changes to my tortoise-keeping and my tortoises are all the better for the changes.
I am gonna disagree I do know it all, I just hide it well.

feline8

5 Year Member
MD
Without this site, I probably wouldn't be obsessed with tortoises or have gotten my red footed tortoise. It was only through thorough reading and research that I decided that I would love to get a pet tortoise of my own. :)

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
We got our RF and listened to the advice from the pet shop .... After Tyrone developed a wheezing whistle, which the pet shop said was normal, I went to the Internet and found this site. All I can say is thank goodness, because Tyrone would not be here with out all of the advice I have gotten here. The pet shop never said anything about soaking him, or about humidity and sold us pellets for food! I am just happy I found this site. I am very grateful to everyone, especially Tortadise for all your help!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
After doing a lot of research, I got my Cherry Head. Things weren't working out too well with my enclosures, and finally I found REDFOOTNERD's site and it changed everything I was doing with my CH. After that I found this forum, when it first started, and made some wonderful friends who have helped me so much with not just Tortoise's. I also made a great friend when someone saw a picture of my tortoise garden with Pio on Kingsnake, who is a member of this forum. I don't post as much as I used to or would like to, but I try and take the time each day to read some posts. I'm always learning more.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
I knew I was going to get a tortoise before joining the forum, but joining the forum helped me decide on the Hermann's. I would have probably set up my enclosure all wrong, had Carl inside all the time, etc. Carl is probably more thankful for the forum than me :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I had my tortoises, but it certainly helped me. Mainly I like the fact that everyone likes tortoises and turtles on this site. :)

I agree with Yvonne, you can always learn something new.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yes, I did get two tortoises before finding this site; but, I tell you that they would be so sick or unhealthy if it weren't for this site. The breeder didn't know a thing about raising hatchlings...since this was her first batch. The poor babies were in a big container with only one small heating pad in a corner. There were two or three hides and about 20 hatchlings. She kept them outside with temps in the 50's at night. I only saw plain lettuce and a small dish of water. That was it. When she gave me two sulcatas, I was thrilled. I had set an enclosure with two heating pads only because I saw how they gravitated to its warmth. I feed them spring mix because that's what I eat (don't like lettuce). I had the wrong substrate, temps, and humidity. Even though I bath them, I didn't know about the soaks and the various other foods to give these babies. It wasn't until one of my babies was compacted with small rocks he had eaten that I searched the internet for information on his symptoms. Now, three months later, I know so much more about their care, and I will sacrifice all I have to care for these babies as though they were actually human. I continue to read and learn on all other species of tortoises because now I have become obsessed with these lovely creatures. Thank you Josh for starting up this forum.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
You are all willing to help everyone and that is so wonderful. I am very grateful for such a lovey place to come to after a long day.

:tort:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I love to hear the comments and sometimes the comments that are not really an answer...but rather a point of thought...this seems to bring so many great "aaaaa haaaa" moments, and those are always my fav....I enjoy interacting with all you tort/turt crazy folks....being a member of Crazytown is always fun :p:p

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
I would have gotten a Sulcata not knowing how destructive they can be and not knowing how to care for it and it having TERRIBLE pyramiding and not realizing that that was not the right tort for my life. And I would have never gotten my baby leopard! The thought of not having Midas, terrible!........... I LOVE YOU TFO!!!!!!!!!! :p :D

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
I got my babies from my neighbor before I found this site. Keeping them how he told me...newspaper substrate, no heat lamp needed, ect. I would have some very sad and sick babies now. I have learned so much from this site and passed on knowledge to a few other friends that got torts from my neighbor. Not only improving my torts life but as the lives of several clutch mates! I check the "current" threads several times a day. I prefer this site to Facebook. I love all you tort crazy people!

BodaTort1

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
I found this site before I got my 1st Sully Roo. I wanted to research the different types before I picked the right species for me. This site also made me realize I wanted an outside adult tortoise ie; a Sulcata. The babies are so adorable but just not the right fit for me and I am so thankful for figuring that out before I failed as a baby sully mommy.
I am also so thankful that I can PM the "experts" here with a question anytime and get a quick response with positive feedback and wealth of information. So from all my torts THANK YOU for this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.