Without this site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
If not for the fine people on this awesome forum, my Cooper wouldn't have msde it to his birthday for sure, then Id be heart broken for a long hi.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
~I found this site when i was researching abit after i got my First tortoise. I do go on other sites and small facebook groups but this by far helped me the most and on other sites i can act ''Professional'' ;) And Answer Thing That I Know . But If they came here they'd knoew im abit of a NOOB :p
Also i have met some Amazing People, All Great Personalitys and Sense Of humour :*

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Without this site, my little sulcata would still likely be kept in a dry, open-top enclosure with low humidity and little water. He would probably still be pyramided as well.

Without this site, I would have not gotten the opportunity to acquire redfoots from a couple different members and likewise, refine my husbandry on that species.

And of course, without TFO, I would not be able to share all the new information I have gleaned from others more experienced from myself.

Thanks, TFO!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
For me, it's more the people I would have missed the pleasure, the fun and laughter of the people. I owe a great friendship to this site and several what most of you would term friendships, but I use that term very rarely, but I am not what term really does fit them. For me, it's the people who make this site what it is and what it means to me. Your my online family.

One member in here, because of his own strength at following his dreams, is helping me to have enough faith in myself, to inspire me to take those long shelved dreams and bring them into reality. I amazed at the generosity of folks in here of sharing not just their knowledge, but actual items like cactus pads or seeds with each other. I know I have had several days of irritation from those tiny cactus spines in my fingers thanks to the loving members in here. :D

I am not sure if it falls as a good thing or as a bad thing, but there are a few tortoises and turtles living with me, whom I would not be enjoying the antics of, if it were not for this forum. :cool:

I don't know how any body could read the posts and see the pictures in here or hear the amazing stories without being touched or taking some of it into their own lives. It may be learning what a new new plant is called, seeing a new idea or a new use for an old idea in someone's enclosure, learning about a species you will never maybe even see for yourself in real life, just so many little bit and pieces of information to be picked up. Even the sad stories where a hatchling dies may not teach you something new, but it sure makes you give your own tortoises an extra check or even another moment of appreciation.

I think of TFO as my sunshine in a world of UV bulbs. Could my tortoises and I have lived without it? Yes, but life would have been a little duller and lacking that special magical ingredient that makes life the best it can be.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Without this site I'd have no other "crazies" to understand my excitement when I upgrade Rosie's enclosure or try planting my own dandelion garden. :p

But seriously, Rosie would not be as well off without the advice of many other redfoot keepers on this forum. The breeder told us a lot of true things regarding her care, but they didn't fully explain care parameters and such regarding humidity and temps.

Everyone's experience, while not identical regarding care/set-ups/etc. is invaluable and much appreciated!

bholmes88

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Taylor, Tx
I would have sickly under developed tortoises instead of the beasts they are now!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If I never found this site, I would never have been able to torment the other mods.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
I'm with Neal. I was raising very healthy Sullies before I came across this site. However this site has broadened my view into other species as well and its always great to get new ideas and have a place to go whenever a question pops up, as opposed to trial and error.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
In my 30 years as a turtle/tortoise mom, I've NEVER met another keeper. I've always been referred to as a little weird, nobody could understand my fascination with these amazing creatures. Finding this site was eye-opening. Not only about the wealth of information on raising healthy torts but especially realizing that there are thousands of people around the world that have fallen under their spell, just like me :)

Hantslad

5 Year Member
I think this site has so much valuable information from fellow members. I look through the posts each day and often learn something new.

It is always nice to know that when things go a little wrong with our Torts there are many friendly people who will offer good advice, often far better than the Vets!!!

So from me, thank you to the webmasters and all the members who contribute.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
diaboliqueturtle said:
Not only about the wealth of information on raising healthy torts but especially realizing that there are thousands of people around the world that have fallen under their spell, just like me

They used the Imperius curse on you?! Merlins beard! You've been Imperiused!

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I think I would still have my tort. Just some things I would not know. I love the site though.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
I don't have a Tortoise yet but yes I would still get it and be taking care of it exactly the same way as I would with this site. Reason being is I did a ton of research before finding this site, plus I'm a member of the local Reptile Club's Forum and have gone to a meeting and they have at least a few really knowledgeable Tortoise owners. :)

MrJorgensen

5 Year Member
Indiana
This site has helped me with everything!

I always wanted a tort, but researched here before my first adoption. Then changed my initial setup because of advice on here.

Then, I found my next adoption from the reposted ads section on here.

While my love for shelled reptiles would be present, this site has made it a knowledgeable love, an enthusiastic love, and one that will be with me for the rest of my life.

The support from this site makes tortoise keeping seem like a "normal" hobby. The poor Muggles just don't get it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't get people saying how they feel normal now, I have kept tortoises for 30 years now and I have always felt normal. Yes very normal, nothing odd to see here
Normal
Nothing to see here
It is all normal.

morloch

5 Year Member
I absolutely love this forum, yes I would probably have my tort anyway, this forum has however made me enjoy my tort much more knowing that I am giving him the best care possible!! I would have probably searched and spend a bundle on books!! , It's refreshing to see so many people care about their pets on this forum! Thank you for all your interest and help on keeping our torts happy and healthy!!!

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
yes - i would still have my sulcata tortoise. i'm one of "those" who purchased a tort, having no idea what i had on my hands. :cool: BUT - thank goodness i found this site, or if i had stuck to what the pet store told me, i would have him on sand with no water source. so glad i found this site and have him housed with plenty of humidity, a water source, and feed that's suitable for him, and he's growing, has a smooth shell and seems very healthy. i check this forum every day possible and just love all the info i get. it's given me the confidence to know that i CAN raise a tortoise to be healthy AND i'm even considering a leopard tortoise in the near future. my tortoise and i THANK YOU!!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
How about because of this Forum/Site ……..For myself it is one of
“life’s joys” Meeting new friends, learning and sharing info about a passion we all have. I have also found it great therapy and escape from life’s stressors, rather it be work , family or financial . Many of the folks in here have not only dedicated their passion for tortoises but also a large investment to further keep the species around for others to enjoy in the future. Rather it be keeping linage pure and or developing exciting morphs…. “to each their own” . Bottom line , keeping exotics in captivity and even producing babies is far more demanding than owning a dog or cat. The dedication shows with many posts daily from all around the world …. I think that is way groovy! Sure there are the good debates and even slight stabs …. But that’s what makes our intellect to keep growing. Hands on experience over weighs any thing you will learn from a book . Why it’s always best to get it from the
“the horses mouth” as opposed to the 100’s of ideas and concepts in print. With the development of the net I have seen the reptile industry explode in the last 15 years. While some of us have been into the hobby well over 25 years. All in all'... I’m thankful to Josh and the Crew of Mods who keep this forum running ……it definitely fills a void in my life and keeps me happy . I think its very important to remember compliments and appreciation go a long way and can even save lives’. I know this first hand ………
Thanks again everyone ………………..
“ KEEP ON TORT~N”

JD~:)
As far as keeping my animals ... heck that started in 1966~:p

Status
Not open for further replies.