Wobbles

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

This is Wobbles...
2mq56y1.jpg

I have had her for about 7 years. She was run over by the commercial lawn mower at a local golf course, it cut off her right front foot and almost severed her right rear foot just enough to paralyze it. The maintenance guy and his wife took care of her until she was healed then they took her to my sister's turtle and tortoise rescue and when I saw her I had to have her. She is a Western Pond turtle and they are an endangered species. She's a wild turtle and she has never once opened her mouth to bite. She is so sweet. And she trusts, she doesn't struggle to get away when I hold her like RES do. She just rests in my hand so nice. Actually she's the sweetest and most personable turtle I have ever kept. Next to Bob she is my favorite turtle.
Anyhow to continue, in July I discovered a large mass in her mouth, you can read that story here...
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Story-of-Wobbles-by-Maggie,
she had a very expensive surgery that removed that mass and it was decided that it was a form of Mycoplasma
b9dclw.jpg
my favorite picture of her is in that story about her, but I can't find it now, you need to use that link and look at that picture and read that story. So life goes on and Wobbles is back to normal begging for treats and splashing around in her tank...
Last Tuesday I saw an open wound on her paralyzed foot so I took her out to dry dock her and treat it. It was bad, covering her whole foot out to her claws. Part of it was open under her skin, a bloody open wound. First I poured Betadine over it and when that dried I poured Nolvasan over it. Then I put Neosporin on it and when I touched it she jerked it so I thought I would give her some Metacam for the pain. I pried open her mouth and discovered that she had that mass back in her mouth. I knew that wasn't good but my Vet wouldn't be in until today, and right now as I type this my Wobbles is receiving an injection that will end her life. It's awful and it's breaking my heart. I just wanted to tell the story of a brave and trusting little turtle who had so much bad stuff happen to her in her life.
Right now I am going to go outside and dig a grave for her and at 3 PM I will go get her and bury her under the Rose of Sharon bush. I can't type anymore.

Kenny

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tempe, Az
Wow,Wobbles has had a tough life. Its nice to see that Karma has given her a 2nd chance. you added 7 years to her life , you should be proud.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's sad to put down any animal, even more sad to put down the ones who have had a rough life.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
It takes a lot to make me tear up but yep, this one did it. I'm so very sorry.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am very sorry for your loss, Maggie. It is so hard to lose a friend. At least you made her last few years as bright as they could possibly be.

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
I'm sorry Maggie, that is very sad. She was lucky to have you for those years. {{{hug}}}

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Maggie, you are an angel for all you do and I'm positive Wobbles life was better off because you are a part of it. I'm sorry for your loss, but focus on the great times you had together instead. You gave her 7 more years of life in a loving environment and I'm sure she appreciated every second of it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm a pretty tough old broad, but your story made me cry too. I think you've done the kindest thing you could do under the circumstances. Wobbles is in a better place and you'll always remember her with kindness every time you look at your rose of sharon tree.

But I'm pretty sure you told me that the growth was TB, not micoplasma. Am I mistaken?

tobibaby

5 Year Member
SoCal
i am so sorry, this made me cry... such a sweet story and a turtle

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Awe Maggie, I am so sorry to hear about Wobbles. I bet the last 7 years were the best in her tortie life. You are a tortie guardian angel if there ever was!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Maggie, what a kind sole you are. You seem to be one of those people that have a tough exterior, to protect that softee inside. Sorry about your Wobbles, it is never easy. Thanks for sharing and the pictures.
Nay

ctomaselli

5 Year Member
SoCal
So sorry for your loss Maggie. Now Wobbles is in a place to watch over you as you have done for her. I know she appreciates all the love you have given her. R.I.P Wobbles.

M

Maggie Cummings

emysemys said:
I'm a pretty tough old broad, but your story made me cry too. I think you've done the kindest thing you could do under the circumstances. Wobbles is in a better place and you'll always remember her with kindness every time you look at your rose of sharon tree.

But I'm pretty sure you told me that the growth was TB, not micoplasma. Am I mistaken?

She did a bunch of research and talked to other vets and it was decided to be Mycoplasma...

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Theres nothing I can write that hasnt already been written. That was one lucky turtle to have you!

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
So very sorry, it's never easy to say goodbye to those that fulfill our lives so much. I will be thinking of you
and Wobbles.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm sure you made the last seven years of her life the best any turtle could have R.I.P. Wobbles.

Status
Not open for further replies.