Won’t use his house🐢

ATJ

Location (City and/or State)
Sierra Madre, Ca
How can I get our Desert Tortoise to use his new outside house. The cool weather will be here soon and I need him to go in there like a Roomba😊. Any tips would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
ATJ

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
If it can be moved try a new location N E S W ideally they want warmth so ensure sun gets on it but there is ventilation if it gets very hot etc.... Make sure there is substrate inside. Post a pic if required. My tortoise follows the sun and moves around. It will have explored the hide as they are nosy!

Reactions: ATJ

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Put him in it every night and he should be shut it. Then each morning, open the door.
Eventually he should do it on his own as far as going in. But you should still lock him in each night.

ATJ

Sierra Madre, Ca
If it can be moved try a new location N E S W ideally they want warmth so ensure sun gets on it but there is ventilation if it gets very hot etc.... Make sure there is substrate inside. Post a pic if required. My tortoise follows the sun and moves around. It will have explored the hide as they are nosy!
Thank you for your suggestions😀.

ATJ

Sierra Madre, Ca
Put him in it every night and he should be shut it. Then each morning, open the door.
Eventually he should do it on his own as far as going in. But you should still lock him in each night.
Thank you for your suggestions 😀

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What do you suggest for substrate, hay?
No, hay is too drying. Dig up some of the ground dirt or you can use coconut coir, orchid bark, or nothing.
Do you have it heated for those cold nights? If he can't naturally burrow, he will need heat.

Reactions: ATJ

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What do you suggest for substrate, hay?
1. Put the box where he wants to sleep, if possible.
2. Put him in the box and shut the door every night.
3. After a couple of weeks of putting him in every night, try putting him halfway in and let him walk the rest. Next night 1/4 in. Next night nose even with the door. Next night 3 inches back from the door, etc... Most of them eventually figure it out.

Having a heat lamp in there will often encourage them to go in at dusk when they can see the light. Mine are set on timers to go off a little after dark.

I would use the native dirt for substrate. This makes clean up easy and avoids the problems with using anything else.

Last edited by a moderator:

ATJ

Sierra Madre, Ca
No, hay is too drying. Dig up some of the ground dirt or you can use coconut coir, orchid bark, or nothing.
Do you have it heated for those cold nights? If he can't naturally burrow, he will need heat.
Thank you for the suggestions. Yes he has a heating Mat. I believe it’s by revival. It seems nice a cozy in there.