Won't hibernate

CaliG

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I have a Russian (since August 4 2018) in oct he slowed down and stopped eating. He started sleeping a lot more but the temps outside stayed on the warm side. By mid ‘Nov. got colder and night time temps dropped to low 50’s. He was still active but still no eating... lots of sleeping. I was given advice to bring him inside out him in a Rubbermaid tub and add a light for 6 hours a day to warm him up.. he has not moved much. I leave out water and 2 times left some food. He did not touch it. On Dec. 26, he had moved out of his hut so I took the opportunity to give him a five minute soak. I need advice. My house is at 61 to 70 degrees. Am I gonna hurt this guy. Do I wake him up? Is he in limbo? He’s been a such a cool tortoise but this winter stuff has me so confused. I ideally wanted him to live all year outside in his enclosure. Did I screw up by bringing him in? He looks fine and moved when I touch him.. but other than that he’s sleeping. Any advice would help. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I would move him to a cardboard box filled with shredded newspaper, close the lid, and put the box in an unused closet with the door closed.

CaliG

Arizona
I would move him to a cardboard box filled with shredded newspaper, close the lid, and put the box in an unused closet with the door closed.
he’s in our office where it’s dark and coolest temps (61 low at night but I turn the heater on in the AM to 68) that office tends to stay cool. Should I take the light away? He’s doesn’t seem to be interested in it at all. Thank you

CaliG

Arizona
Here is is.

Attachments

• 835367DA-4268-4042-8336-2D66F18AD590.jpeg
    835367DA-4268-4042-8336-2D66F18AD590.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
he’s in our office where it’s dark and coolest temps (61 low at night but I turn the heater on in the AM to 68) that office tends to stay cool. Should I take the light away? He’s doesn’t seem to be interested in it at all. Thank you
That is much too warm. They need a steady 38-39F to hibernate.

CaliG

Arizona
Do I try and wake him? Or put him in cooler spot? He’s been like this for over 8 weeks. Will he get dehydrated? Starve. I’m so confused

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok, if you want to hibernate him then he has to be cooled down to 35 to 40 degrees. Otherwise you will have to wake him and keep him warm like summertime. That means lights, uvb, soaking, feeding . If you leave him at the current temp, he is going to get sick. Read our Russian tort section. It will give you all the info you need to set him up inside.

Reactions: Tom