Wood type to buy for enclosure not harmful for my tort??

mr jingles

Hey folks so I was in my local timber yard last night to price some for my enclosures I'm building, are there woods I should keep away from? Are there chemicals in the wood that might harm?

Any advice appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I use regular plywood and 2x4s. For outdoor caging I use pressure treated lumber, but not for their sleeping quarters or night boxes.

I would also recommend not using cedar.

mr jingles

Cool.. Cedar to be avoided.

I have a space in my house for an indoor enclosure.. 3metres by 600mm.. Think that would be big enough. Baby Russian year and a half old?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a space in my house for an indoor enclosure.. 3metres by 600mm.. Think that would be big enough. Baby Russian year and a half old?

I think that would be a lovely size for an indoor baby russian enclosure.

mr jingles

Magic :)

what age do you consider torts baby's until? Would that size become to small once he is older?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
i have read that Russian tortoise boys, like you have, reach 5-8 inches long, typically and females 6-10 inches though they can take a long time to reach their maximum size. An adult male would thus be about 5 '' or so a young adult maybe 4'' or when it is 2 to 3 years old.
This is only based on reading and I've never actually owned a Russian, so the purpose, in part, of this is to bump this thread so more knowledgeable Russian owners can leap all over me and correct me.
When he is an adult, he will need lots of space, the care sheet here recommends 3' by 6' minimum, but really the bigger the better.
Hope this is correct, but if you look at the info under Mediterranean tortoises, subsection Russians, I think it will back up most of what I have said.