Woodlice

Status
Not open for further replies.

murple

5 Year Member
Hi all

Are Woodlice harmful to tortoises? In the UK we have had rain rain and more rain. As a result (i think) Woodlice had made home in the shelter part of my outside run.

I have cleaned them out moved the run and treated the Woodlice to get rid. But was wondering would they harm a tortoise? Thinking in case it happens again.

Thanks

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
If you are referring to the tiny tiny little bugs (just yeay-smaller than a flea) that are kinda light brownish colored, and often show up in moist, organic bedding (cypress, coco coir, etc.)...OR...pillbugs (sometimes called roly-pollies here in the U.S.)....they are not harmful to tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not sure, but I THINK wood lice are pill bugs or rolly pollys or Trachelipus ratzeburgii.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Murple, if you're talking about what we call pill bugs or roly-polys, then no, not harmful to tortoises. In fact, folks on this forum have posted that the presence of roly-polys in the substrate help keep down the numbers of other bugs such as fungus flies and those little gray jumper things. I'm planning to purchase wood lice for inclusion in my next iteration of indoor enclosure.

murple

5 Year Member
I had no idea if they were called pill bugs or roly poly but googled it and yes its them!

That's a great help thanks all. If they return I'll leave them be instead of being a bug killer!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I don't know about Russians but pillbugs are a welcome visitor for my forest type torts. They love em. Chomp Chomp.

Snowqueen75

5 Year Member
I had Rosie & Jim outside in the garden today, Jim licked a woodlice and that was it..lol was funny watching that. But I think he enjoyed the taste of it as he was licking his lips hahaa

clare n

5 Year Member
Essex uk
We call them look-a-likes. Because they all look alike. A little useless info for you all there... :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Itort said:
I don't know about Russians but pillbugs are a welcome visitor for my forest type torts. They love em. Chomp Chomp.

Interesting. I never saw my redfoot tortoise eat woodlice/sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly-pollies, but my box turtles used to love them. I don't know if my Russians would or not, but either way, these little terrestrial crustaceans are not harmful.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Itort said:

Interesting. I never saw my redfoot tortoise eat woodlice/sow bugs/pill bugs/rolly-pollies, but my box turtles used to love them. I don't know if my Russians would or not, but either way, these little terrestrial crustaceans are not harmful.
My redfoots will eat them when come upon them while foraging as will my Forstens. My Homes and box turtles seem to actively hunt them as they are more carnivorious. My MEPs seem not to care and eat them only incidently. But the boottom line is they are harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.