Working on a new outside enclosure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jessrich87

5 Year Member
I'm starting with a 5x7 chain link dog kennel to keep our dogs and other critters out. I'm using cinder blocks to line to inside to keep Spike from getting to the chain link. He's little, he'll either escape or get tangled. I pulled up the grass and weeds that were there and I plan on putting mulch don, then covering it with peat moss. That's where I need advice. Is the mulch safe? I'm trying to prevent the weeds from growing. I'm making progress! Ill post pics soon. Any suggestions welcomed.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
You would be better off not pulling the grass and weeds. My enclosure is outside and has a block border. It's just plain dirt bottom with weeds and plants and grass. My sulcata keeps everything pretty trim. If you already pulled all the grass maybe you can plant a few clods of grass back into your enclosure from elsewhere in your yard.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree. No mulch, you need plants, grasses, weeds, that's what they need when outside. That is a better food for them also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jess:

Cinder blocks take up a lot of space. You can buy some redwood 1x12's pretty cheaply. You drill a few holes in the boards, stand them up on the inside of the chain link fence, end to end and wire them through the holes to the chain link. This saves you a lot of interior space and keeps the tortoise from seeing out or trying to climb the chain link.

Also, with a young sulcata, why would you want to pull the grasses and weeds? That's what should be on his menu. You may need to get out there from time to time with the scissors and clip it down to a more manageable height for him, but eventually (and they grow pretty fast!) he will keep it clipped for you.

jessrich87

5 Year Member
I should have explained more... I pulled them because the are dead and hard- we live in a part of Texas where the ground is just rock. What grows isn't really grass. I was going to replant with edible stuff once I'm done. I've already started with the blocks and they are the thinner ones, but I like the wood idea for next time. Thanks. I won't be able to grow anything unless I put dirt down, but you suggest I don't put the mulch down? What grows naturally is stickers and tall straw like weeds. Yuck.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I would use newspaper. Or landscape fabric, if your prefer that. Not mulch. Depending on what/how you're planning on growing, you could put mulch on top of whatever soil you use to aid in water retention.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I suggest buying some plain top soil from a garden center and putting a layer of that down. Not mulch.
The wood frame is such a great idea! Way better than using brick. In fact I'm going to use that idea, too. Thanks yvonne.

jessrich87

5 Year Member
Here are some photos of my progress so far. The first two are just after I finished putting the bricks in. The last one is after I put some peat moss, seeds and a little log shelter. I still need the get some edible plants, a humid hide, and a water dish.

Attachments

• image-2612044828.png
    image-2612044828.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • image-2031426766.png
    image-2031426766.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • image-3062405658.png
    image-3062405658.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't think the pics came through? Try using tinypics or photobucket. Copy the IMG code and paste to your post.

Since you are using the cement blocks, fill them with topsoil and plant sedums, nasturtiums, etc. Nasturtiums will even climb up the chain link. Your tort can nibble on whatever hangs down. Run a soaker or sprayer hose around the perimeter on the blocks so you can water easily, and it will add humidity.

What about planting a hibiscus in a large pot. And a climbing rose (get one that goes about 8'), planted on the outside, can help provide shade.

Dog runs are great for tort enclosures!

jessrich87

5 Year Member
Thank you so much for the plant suggestions! I will try to figure out the pic thing. Hmm.

jessrich87

5 Year Member
Finally able to post some pics.

outsideenclosure4_zps69375177.jpg

After I finished putting the bricks in.

outsideenclosure3_zps5504f64a.jpg

Another view.

outsideenclosure2_zpse6078910.jpg

After I put dirt and peat moss in.

outsideenclosure1_zps4da7aeb4.jpg

After I planted the pansies.

spikehouse_zps031b5df2.jpg

Spike enjoying his new house. :)

I still need to put chicken wire top on it to keep hawks away and do some more planting, but I am pretty happy with how its turning out and I think he is too! I have since added a ceramic planter tray for water and another little hide with orchid grass hay for munching.

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Nice! Keep us updated on the progress:) will you put a heated house or are you planning to just bring him in at night or when it gets cold?

jessrich87

5 Year Member
DrewsLife727 said:
Nice! Keep us updated on the progress:) will you put a heated house or are you planning to just bring him in at night or when it gets cold?

I thought about a heated house, but I will probably just bring him in. He is so little, I worry about him. :p

MasterOogway

5 Year Member
I like it. Thanks for the great idea. Outdoor enclosure is coming up on my to do list.

Status
Not open for further replies.