Worming?

mase01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Redcar
how often do you guys worm your tortoise? hugo was born in july of last year and i received him in the august, i have never wormed him to date, but he is a health tortoise, poo and everything is fine and as it should be? just wanted to know how often people worm or if they dont?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
To randomly apply any medication is called "shot gunning" and is used when you don't know what if anything is wrong. It's what you do when you don't know what you are doing.

To worm or not worm is based on finding evidence that is will create benefit. Do you have any specific reason to think your tortoise has worms?

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
not one bit, he is healthy, i have just read on a number of occasions that people tend to worm their tortoise twice a year, one time before summer and one time before winter? is this not true?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do not "worm" your tortoise unless there is an actual health issue.
And never use worm medicine (poison) without consulting a vet as to to the type of medication. Itll be based on the type of parasite. And dosage. Based on the animals weight and condition.

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
ok thanks, i would never have done it randomly anyways i would always go to a vet with it if there was any problems, i just wanted to know what peoples thoughts on it was

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
ok thanks, i would never have done it randomly anyways i would always go to a vet with it if there was any problems, i just wanted to know what peoples thoughts on it was
Gotcha.
For a new puppy? Yes.
A new tortoise? No.
But a wellness check would be a good idea if you have a vet that actually knows tortoises and doesn't just say that they do.
That way your vet will know your tortoise and have a baseline in the future.

mase01

5 Year Member
Redcar
well i went to get him chipped a couple of weeks ago as the certificate said once he reaches a pastoral length of 60mm hes fine, he is something like 60mm now but they wouldnt do it as they said hes too small and needs to be a 100mm

TaraMaiden

Nottinghamshire UK
well i went to get him chipped a couple of weeks ago as the certificate said once he reaches a pastoral length of 60mm hes fine, he is something like 60mm now but they wouldnt do it as they said hes too small and needs to be a 100mm
Yes, everything I have read, seen and heard, recommends microchipping ONLY when the plastron itself is 10cm long.
ETA: And yes, I know this thread is 3 years old, but I was advised that anything added helps with further info and education. I'm not putting myself out there as any form of expert, though; I'm just adding to the conversation.

Last edited: