Worried about Terrapin

misswindowsxt

hi, I have a 10 plus year old red ear slider. She has lost her friend (another female red ear slider) due to an infection arising from the male res's biting. We have now separated both male and female res. however this female res has not been eating for the past few months and sleeping all the time. I have been trying to let her tank be under the sunlight and cleaned it everyday. Even feeding her a variety of food from vegetables to pellets but she's not eating. Please advice!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
is her new tank hot enough?
Often not eating is a sign of the temperatures being too low.
I don't have sliders, so hopefully someone who has will be along in a moment.
What about the bulb? if you have coiled bulbs, replace them as these can be a problem too.
And a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.

MelissaNicole

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Pennsylvania
hi, I have a 10 plus year old red ear slider. She has lost her friend (another female red ear slider) due to an infection arising from the male res's biting. We have now separated both male and female res. however this female res has not been eating for the past few months and sleeping all the time. I have been trying to let her tank be under the sunlight and cleaned it everyday. Even feeding her a variety of food from vegetables to pellets but she's not eating. Please advice!!

Hello! I have sliders in my mini zoo as well and I know any change in surroundings, like being moved into a new enclosure, can throw them off for a bit. However, not eating for months is very odd. I agree you need to check temps, both in water and basking area. Is her enclosure large enough? a 10+ female slider isn't small by any means. Do you feed any live feeders? gold fish or rosey reds? I mean, a few months might be time to visit a good herp vet..

misswindowsxt

I thank everyone who has offered me advice on the matter. I've brought my terrapin to a vet 3 days ago and she was diagnosed to have metabolic bone disease and was prescribed antibiotics and iodine for wash. However, she passed away a day later.