Worried owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rw3399

5 Year Member
Hi there. I'm new to this forum and posting on behalf of my parents. They have just been given a tortoise by someone who is unable to look after her anymore. They think she is a meditarranean tortoise and is 41 years old this year. She came out of hibernation about 3 weeks ago but hasn't eaten anything. She has explored the greenhouse and on warmer days has had a good wander around the garden. We have seen her chewing on dandelion leaves but she doesn't seem to eat them. She is being bathed every other day for about 15 minutes. We also think she's blind as when we wave our hands in front of her eyes she doesn't blink or move away. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Rachel x

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Welcome to the forum Rachel :)

I think it's time to have him/her checked out by an exotics vet that knows about tortoises.
Have you given the tortoise any extra heat? It's not quite warm enough yet in the UK to have a tortoise outside most of the time to be eating.
If you can take some clear pictures of the top shell (carapace) and bottom shell (plastron), we can give a go at finding out what kind of tortoise your parents have.
That will help to give the tortoise the best of care knowing what species it is.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Rachel, welcome to the forum, as Danny said a pic would definitely help.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Welcome to the forum, and I agree with Danny and Robyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.