Wrong food

kbarj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
west central Missouri
I accidentally ordered a big bag of Mazuri Forest and tropical species for my 50lb sulcata. Will it hurt her? Can I get away with feeding it to her if I go back to the desert tortoise food when it’s gone or should I just take the $50 loss?

jsheffield - In Memoriam

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
The big difference between the two kibbles is that the LS formulation has Timothy Hay as the first ingredient... this lowers the protein and starch in the kibble.

I wouldn't throw away the bag of 5m21, I'd just make it a smaller part of their diet and increase the hay/grass/leaf-matter to balance it out.

Jamie

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
From looking at their site, seems its just 5M21, the original Mazuri. This is what most are feeding when they say Mazuri, so it's fine.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Aagh, yes I see the 5M21 does say this

➡️ Best Fed To: Mazuri® Tortoise food is best for tortoises and terrestrial turtles, especially forest and tropical species such as red-footed, yellow-footed, and star tortoises, box turtles and wood turtles.

That said, I think we can all agree that 5M21 is the normal good old fashioned Mazuri tort chow most Sully owners feed (if they feed any at all).

So, back to the OP, your bag of 5M21 will be just fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I accidentally ordered a big bag of Mazuri Forest and tropical species for my 50lb sulcata. Will it hurt her? Can I get away with feeding it to her if I go back to the desert tortoise food when it’s gone or should I just take the $50 loss?
I've never noticed that wording on the label. I've always referred to the 5M21 as "regular" Mazuri vs. the new type which is labeled as "LS".

If you have the regular stuff, its great for sulcatas. You can mix it with other stuff, or just feed it out plain. I do both. I feed Mazuri to my herd once or twice a week. I use both types now.

Mazuri makes all sorts of chows for all sorts of animals. Lemur chow, Emu chow, leaf eater primate chow, crocodile chow, etc... Read the label and tell us specifically which type you've got? Now I'm curious.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The 5M21 is actually harder to find than the LS.
The old bags had a picture of a tortoise and a crocodile on the bag
Now it's just a generic. Unmarked bag with the RED label.
There's also one specified for aquatic turtles I've seen at my feed store.