Yeah!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
They are eating, IMO quick after the shipping experience. They consumed two full size hibiscus blossoms and worked a small food pile over to much less.. I don't have but a few two or three minute observation times a day, so have not actually seen them eat. They are a very wary species, but the flowers disappear. As food is disappearing, I'll give them some time before handling them again for a weight check. I few small fecal pellets have turned up as well.

When I do spy on them I see their throat pumping of air increases much once I notice that they see me looking through gaps in the canopy used to maintain temps and humidity in their enclosure.

This is so interesting a species.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome tortoises! Madagascar has some sweet tortoises!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
That is a really good account of my experience with them too, Will. I wish you the best of luck! Fingers crossed that they keep progressing for you.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Awesome! And are those two concrete mixing tubs on top of each other, to maintain humidity? Cool idea. I assume you cut an area out for access...??

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
That has to be so exciting to see early growth

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Awesome! And are those two concrete mixing tubs on top of each other, to maintain humidity? Cool idea. I assume you cut an area out for access...??
I just noticed this today. Yes, I use one inverted on top of the other. It's a good place to hang the light, now about 14 inches away do to the 'height' or the fixture and the depth of the substrate. I do cut an access into one end of the top/inverted pan. Even if I don't use it again this way it still works as an outside hide (but covered so the black doesn't concentrate heat from the sun).

I have begun to put bulkhead fitting into the bottom with a hose that drains into a sump, that way I can flood them, then drain them. Keeps the substrate clean longer and cuts down the quickly expanding isopod population. When the tortoise species is one that will eat the isopods, it also makes them very accessible. Plants get watered, the once a week (or so) flood seems to make the tortoises real happy. Humidity is adjusted by how much the access hole is covered, I just use the bags produce comes in for that, and throw them away when they get too soiled.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hopefully, Kevin was pulling our collective legs.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Haha. It was meant to be a a joke. Maybe I should start using emojis...

I took as a joke, because I don't know you well enough to consider if you were being a jerk. It is funny, because I know myself.

That said, many tortoise people all over have wonderful collections of animals not know to be held in the US (I am pretty sure they are legal as well) but prefer to remain private. Aside from a genuine concern regarding theft, they are not seeking attention.

To all the secret animals keepers who may think I'm about to spill, I will not. I value your sharing with me, and well, you know where the bodies are that I buried. LOL

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a great picture. I can see that one gracing a page in the calendar year after next!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
That's a great picture. I can see that one gracing a page in the calendar year after next!
I getting better at using the camera in my phone. That feeding tile is a bit messy.

I don't remove yesterday's food always as sometimes they like it better a day old. There are a few 'zones' on the tile, I move around on it. They seem to like oyster mushrooms after they get slimy from the day before. Pumpkin is highly sought after and of grocery greens I think arugula is favored. The 'wandering jew' plant get nailed pretty hard about once a week as well.