Year Round Perennial Veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts, USA
For awhile I've had a 5' x 2.5' window that I picked out of the trash a year ago and was planning on using to build an enclosure of some sorts but now I'm going in another direction with that concept and have come up with the idea of using it to build a cold frame and grow veggies and such year round or at least as long as the cold frame would allow me too for my Russian tort, Lucy, as well as my family and my brother's uromastyx lizard. Preferably I'd like to grow perennial stuff that I only have to plant once and not worry to much about it, plus I could have these same plants grow all year and not have to tear them out and replant new stuff all the time. Some stuff I have in mind includes arugula, chicory (the dandelion greens you see in the grocery store), and escarole.

Anyways does anyone have any ideas for perennial vegetables or edibles that you could grow in a cold frame and would these plants do fine growing year round or do they require a dormancy to stay healthy?

tortugatamer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Unfortunately all lettuce type plants are annual and get quite bitter when they bolt. But you could do successive plantings of your veggies. I have luck growing peppers as perennials but most veggies are sadly annual.

Sent from my MB865 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.