Yearling tortoise behavior??

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Hi all! Been a while since I posted about Thor. He's been hanging out, gaining weight slowly but consistently and just being his wonderful self. However, lately he has been burrowing extremely deeply into his substrate and not being extremely active. The temps inside his habitat are 85ish for basking and then 70-75 in other areas of his tank. Is it possible that he is trying to hibernate? I have been soaking him daily this week but usually soak him once or twice a week (as often as I can with mine and my husband's schedules). He has been eating wheat grass, spring mix, grocery store greens. When I wake him up his appetite is normal, but I'm not sure he would get up to eat if I didn't wake him up. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!!

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Morning soak. Up 3 grams from wednesday!

Attachments

• 1424448556137.jpg
    1424448556137.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 17

puffy137

When they have all woken up , I will have a glorious day bathing & coconut oiling & buffing them , but not until the weather is warmer. :) My babies emerged from the ground in July 2014.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
When they have all woken up , I will have a glorious day bathing & coconut oiling & buffing them , but not until the weather is warmer. :)
What a treatment they will get. Don't let my wife see this post, otherwise she will ask for one too..:eek:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi all! Been a while since I posted about Thor. He's been hanging out, gaining weight slowly but consistently and just being his wonderful self. However, lately he has been burrowing extremely deeply into his substrate and not being extremely active. The temps inside his habitat are 85ish for basking and then 70-75 in other areas of his tank. Is it possible that he is trying to hibernate? I have been soaking him daily this week but usually soak him once or twice a week (as often as I can with mine and my husband's schedules). He has been eating wheat grass, spring mix, grocery store greens. When I wake him up his appetite is normal, but I'm not sure he would get up to eat if I didn't wake him up. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!!

I would keep the lights on for 14 hours a day, and every time I walk past the habitat, get him out and set him in front of the food.

milkandsam

5 Year Member
Ok! The lights are already on that long (I will double check though). And we will start taking him out when we walk by. He chowed down on some Mazuri and grassland pellets today when he woke up. Just wanted to make sure he doesn't go into hibernation!