yellow footed tort- question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkydinkydoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hertfordshire, UK
im on top of all the plants they can have....but this animal protein bit is getting my poor lil brain all confuzled!
help!
I am torn between getting a yellow foot, spur thigh or hermann! i want them all!

ive done lots of research on the yellow footed, but there are alot of conflicting care instructions.....
they need animal protein once a week but only a small amount?
they get that from cat food?
cat food is a definate no no ??

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I have also read that cat food thing and also wondered how that could be a good option for a tort? Good question, I hope someone can explain it :)

oscar

10 Year Member!
Illinois
wrmitchell22 said:
I have also read that cat food thing and also wondered how that could be a good option for a tort? Good question, I hope someone can explain it :)

I would go with a red foot before a yellow foot, seem to be more available and have read that yellow foots can be harder to keep.
Were do you live? I have red foots and two greek tortoise, if I lived were it was dry I would have greek tortoise over a yellow foot, mine greeks hibernate during the winter in IL were my red foots have to have the humidity up and kept warm during the winter which I think is harder to do with the furnace drying out the air, also have to depend on store bought greens to feed them during our long winters and they have been getting pretty pricy now days.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
I also had the same question, but after reading posts on this forum I came to the conclusion that RF's can tolerate more protein than other tortoises, but doesn't require protein in their diet.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Protein: Red- and Yellow-foots are more tolerant of animal protein than grassland species like Hermanns or Sulcata, but they do not need any special amount of animal protein in a balanced, varied diet. About a tablespoon of meat a month is fine, but they can generally handle more or less just fine.

The best sources of animal protein would be natural sources- live 'bugs' especially- worms, larvae, beetles, etc. as well as 'pinkies', 'fuzzies' and especially 'hoppers', which are different sizes of baby rats and mice. You can also offer lightly cooked egg, chicken, organ meat, lean meat, etc.

Cat and dog food is not generally a best option, but in small amounts it is no big deal. After all, in the wild, these guys relish carrion, feces, etc. so some kibble or canned pet food is not going to hurt them!

If fresh food is a problem, they also do well on a diet of about 50/50 fresh food and Mazuri pellets or Zoo Med Natural Diet. (Heck, you can serve them 100% prepared chows for a while if you need to.)

I would also recommend a Cherry-head (Brazilian or Eastern) Red-foot if possible. They are hardier than the Northerns and any Red-foot will be easier and usually cheaper than a Yellow-foot. I believe our own Allegraf is selling some beauties, among other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.