yolk sac never absorbed?

SouthernRFT

I have a approx 4 month old redfoot whose yolk sac still appears to have never absorbed however it looks healed/darkened.

Out of the 3 I have he is the only one like this he is also the largest of the three. I purchased them all from the same breeder.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, I didn't think anyone would sell them with the yolk sac still there. That doesn't sound good to me to sell them like that, but then again, when it comes to animals, I make sure they are well on their way before I would sell them. This is my puppies I'm talking about, with torts, I don't know how,most do it, but I wouldn't do it like your breeder did. Maybe @N2TORTS can help here.

SouthernRFT

Wow, I didn't think anyone would sell them with the yolk sac still there. That doesn't sound good to me to sell them like that, but then again, when it comes to animals, I make sure they are well on their way before I would sell them. This is my puppies I'm talking about, with torts, I don't know how,most do it, but I wouldn't do it like your breeder did. Maybe @N2TORTS can help here.
I guess maybe it is the scar. It wasn't yellow yolk but it definitely wasn't the little thin healed over scar if you will. I do believe they were very young and just now am starting to see some nice growth lines between the scutes since I've upped the protein.
Going to go get a pic now.

SouthernRFT

Does the size look ok for the age? Hand as reference I guesso_O

Attachments

• IMG_4460.JPG
    IMG_4460.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4461.JPG
    IMG_4461.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 54

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Little ruff sack area, but I think all looks good. To hard to tell the age for size, seeing they all grow differently and are raised differently. As long as things seem good and they drink, eat, poop and roam some, then things are good.

SouthernRFT

Seems healthy so I just figured I would check. Definitely in no hurry to fully close up or absorb I guess.