Young Leo with RI

Prosimikim

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi guys,

I’m posting here for peace of mind more than anything I suppose!

my young Leo has unfortunately been diagnosed with an RI. The first vet we went to was great, originally prescribed injectable baytril, luckily I had been reading some of your posts and he agreed to try Amakin instead. We did 5 injections every 72 hours. He did appear to improve. But has unfortunately gone downhill again.

we have now seen another vet that was recommend on tortoise table, who has given an injection of naxcel , he said they last a week, so he will need one a week for 6 weeks.
I have increased temperatures So the ambient is about 29-30. Humidity is at 80%. I am also soaking daily. He is still eating, but certainly not as much as he used to and has lost a small amount of weight.

he had his first injection yesterday. So I know it is early days. My concern is the very loud noises he is making. It’s so very hard to listen to, breaks my heart each time he makes them. I was wondering if anyone had experience of the loud noises, and your leopard recovered? My big fear is to lose my little guy ?

for background, the RI was undoubtedly brought on by a silly mistake from myself. I had been told to keep him on tortoise dirt, and it got very dusty in the enclosure. Has now all been changed to orchid bark which I soak daily to avoid any dust.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you raise the temperature in the enclosure to 85F degrees, all over the whole enclosure, day and night, it will help him fight off the illness.

Buy sterile saline solution. You can find it in the contact lens part of the pharmacy. using a small squirt bottle, firmly squirt several small bursts of the solution into each nostril. Don't worry about the liquid going into the lungs, because the other end of the nostrils ends up in the roof of the mouth, not down the throat.

Prosimikim

London
If you raise the temperature in the enclosure to 85F degrees, all over the whole enclosure, day and night, it will help him fight off the illness.

Buy sterile saline solution. You can find it in the contact lens part of the pharmacy. using a small squirt bottle, firmly squirt several small bursts of the solution into each nostril. Don't worry about the liquid going into the lungs, because the other end of the nostrils ends up in the roof of the mouth, not down the throat.

Great Thankyou so much! It’s such a horrid noise to hear!