Anyone a poop expert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EKLC

5 Year Member
My leopard tortoise has been on the mend after an RI this fall. The antibiotics have killed his appetite, so I went on bene-bac, and then later TNT with probiotic. His appetite has picked up a bit, but not much since his RI went away in November. Lately he only wants mazuri, and I oblige, since he needs to gain weight and he'll take it with calcium. The thing is, his poops are light in color (almost the color of mazuri), sometimes with a touch of mucous-like matter. He was tested for parasites in December, with no problems. Any ideas on what a light poop could mean, and if it relates to his small appetite? I'll try to get pics when I encounter another sample. My go-to plan is getting him to eat the droppings of a healthy adult leopard

vital stats:
15 months
60 grams
indoors, but daily sunshine
soaks daily
behavior: fairly lethargic, active outdoors

thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Evan:

I would clip some grass and weeds with the scissors and chop it up real fine, and add it to the Mazuri. Just a little at first, but more and more each time. Once you start adding some fiber to the diet, the consistency of the poop should change.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply Yvonne. Do you think the light color of the poop is indicative of anything, or would you expect that on a mostly mazuri diet?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I would expect this color if his diet is almost exclusively Mazuri ...

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
when my sulcata quit eatin greens and only ate mazuri his poop was pretty much the color of the mazuri. but when he eats both its a very dark green color.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Thanks guys, was worried it was just mazuri coming out undigested.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree with the rest. I have to say, I did get a bit of a chuckle over the title of your thread. :D On your go-to plan, do you have a leopard in mind already?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Jacqui said:
I agree with the rest. I have to say, I did get a bit of a chuckle over the title of your thread. :D On your go-to plan, do you have a leopard in mind already?

Yes...I wonder, now that I've responded to this thread...does that mean I can add "poop expert" to my resume?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
emysemys said:
Jacqui said:

Yes...I wonder, now that I've responded to this thread...does that mean I can add "poop expert" to my resume?

It appears so! :D

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Jacqui said:

I've been called a " chit head" many of times! .....:p;):D:p

EKLC

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:

My girlfriend works at a zoo. The big leopards there have been fecal tested recently, so you could say I've found a donor

emysemys said:

Your certificate is in the mail

Status
Not open for further replies.