Shaking

Reggie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fort Wayne In
I am temporarily caring for my grandson’s leopard tortoise who is about 20 months old. He’s had him since a hatchling. In addition to making a soaking saucer available in his enclosure, I soak him daily in the bathtub and he poops. Recently I’ve seen him shake after he has pooped and his “male business” protrudes. Today His mouth was open and he expelled air sveral times. After a couple of minutes the “business” returns inside his tail and the whole episode is over. For a few more minutes you can see a tiny pink part at the opening of his tail before it closes up completely. To me this appears to be distress. Should I take him to the vet or is this considered normal? He eats Mazuri pellets with greens daily sprinkled with a multi vitamin and calcium. His appetite is good. He drinks water. He has UV and heat lights. His enclosure is 80-85 degrees with a basking spot around 93. Does anyone have insight into the shaking behavior?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

He's a bit young to be showing his 'man parts' already. It might be that he's got a parasite infestation. Does he seem to be constipated? Sometimes hard pushing causes the penis to protrude.

(You only need to sprinkle the vitamins and calcium a couple times a week.)

Reggie

5 Year Member
Fort Wayne In
Hi, and welcome!

He's a bit young to be showing his 'man parts' already. It might be that he's got a parasite infestation. Does he seem to be constipated? Sometimes hard pushing causes the penis to protrude.

(You only need to sprinkle the vitamins and calcium a couple times a week.)

Reggie

5 Year Member
Fort Wayne In
Thank you so much for the sage advise. He does not seem constipated to me. His doesn’t strain to go and the consistency is fairly free-form. Could be he is trying to eliminate more. Maybe I should have the vet check for parasites. Since we are in the frigid Midwest, he is indoors. We do allow supervised walks in the house

Reggie

5 Year Member
Fort Wayne In
I did try feeding Reggie pumpkin in case his shaking was straining from constipation. He is not shaking any more so maybe that was it. I read on the forum about increasing the humidity in his hide with sphagnum moss. Can someone explain what percent of moss to include with the rest of the substrate? Thank you!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello pics of the enclosure would help guide you with your substrate.

Reggie

5 Year Member
Fort Wayne In
I confess I am technology challenged. I tried loading a picture Of Reggie earlier but couldn’t figure it out even with instructions I found. I’ll keep trying to figure that out.