Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

adarland

5 Year Member
I have a yearling leo that I've have for almost 3 weeks. At first, he did not want to eat the hay I had for him. This past week I have gotten him eating dandelion, radicchio, hibiscus, orchard hay and mazuri. I also soak him everyday for at least 10-15 mins. My concern is that he hasn't defecated since I've had him. When he wasn't eating it made sense but now that he has a strong appetite I'm worried that it's been so long with no "poop". He seems ok otherwise. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
You probably won't get him to eat hay now. They don't like to eat hay until they get much older. Let him eat what you are feeding now, which is fine. Tortoises can go a while without pooping, but if he doesn't go in the next week, I'd think about a trip to a vet. Mine go every 4 or 5 days usually, depending on how much grazing in the yard they do. Your guy coudl just now be "filling up" after he has started eating well and may go soon.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup...I would not worry just yet...if he has not been consuming food until recently it will take a bit before you see poo....also, some torts will eat their own poo..so that may be something going on...:D

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am going to assume you don't have a South African type of leopard? In which case, they don't naturally eat a lot of grasses or hay anyway until they are older or unless they have fresh grass to graze on. Do you think it's possible that he is eating the poop before you have the chance to see it? They do eat their own poop sometimes.

Try soaking him for a long time...say 20 minutes...and see if he has a bowel movement. Most tortoises will defecate in water they soak in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto Neal, except I'd let him soak even longer.

austinl01

5 Year Member
Little Rock, AR
I soak mine for about 45 minutes typically a few times a week. I figure a longer soaking wouldn't hurt.

adarland

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the info...I soaked him for about 25 mins today and it worked :)

Status
Not open for further replies.