Tort not growing.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
I haven't heard about the pumpkin seeds...I'd be curious to know the answer. I suppose a little pumpkin wouldn't hurt...and I imagine you'd have an endless supply this time of year.

Turbotort

Florida
I added a few things tp the enclosure for it to be a little more natural and not so boring.

Also is it normal for the pastron the be pliable still in the middle? Possible sign of still not enough calcium?

Attachments

• 1444768536851.jpg
    1444768536851.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 39

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Not normal for an approx. 10 month old leopard tortoise. That's not to say that it doesn't happen and the tortoise won't pull through, but in terms of "averages" and "normals", it is outside the range of normal. It would be very hard to say it's from not enough calcium vs. some other unknown issue.

I am sorry, it seems like you've done just about everything else you can think of. Keep going strong and hopefully he will pull through.

Last edited:

Turbotort

Florida
Yeah I do feel I've done just about everything I can. Just with he had more of an appetite and not so picky.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I probably have said this before, but my guys were extremely picky and then one day it just changed completely. It was basically an overnight thing. So just keep trying, you never know when things will change.

Turbotort

Florida
Honestly at this point I think nature just has to take its course. He is picky that's for sure. But I think he's been having an adequate diet for a while now but his body just isn't growing. The damage from dehydration must have just been too much. I doubt anything can be done. Ill just continue to care for him. Soak everyday, calcium powder every few days same with mazuri sprinkled ontop.

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
I must have his brother. Had him for 1yr, hadn't grown at all. 51 grams.
My temp is good but humidity is non existant. 20%. I just got a pop up greenhouse but it hasn't helped much.

kbarj

5 Year Member
west central Missouri
It would be worth your while to take a sample to an experienced tortoise vet. One who knows exactly what he/she is looking for and has seen it many times before. One that knows which meds are safe for tortoises and in what dose, based on years of previous experience, not what they just read on the internet in the back room.
My vet used to be the zoo vet and he told me to feed dog food! ! I lost my confidence in him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here's a trick you might try: If he will eat cucumber, then grate a cucumber so it's like mush. Chop up the greens into tiny pieces and mix it into the cucumber mush so it's all covered. He will smell cucumber and eat the greens (hopefully). You can do this with anything that he'll eat readily...aloe, watermelon, strawberries - whatever he will eat. Have you tried Mazuri?

Turbotort

Florida
Quick small update. I went away for a week and left Tort with my brother and sister in law. Everything went well. They fed him escrole and endive mostly. She planted some organic lettuce mix on the one side so we'll see if he eats that. Also she is growing some alfalfa sprouts to give me for him. I think they are ok to feed?

Anyhoo he weighed 36g tonight and apparently had a poo earlier. It's nothing crazy but kind of a good sign. I was expecting much less. So we shall see!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
36 after a poo seems like a decent accomplishment for the little guy. I have no idea about the sprouts....hopefully someone else does.

Turbotort

Florida
Dropped to 32 the day after lol. Hopeless I tell you! Plastron is still flexible in the middle. Nothing has changed for months. But I'm getting a bigger enclosure soonish and possibly a new hatchling.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
My vet used to be the zoo vet and he told me to feed dog food! ! I lost my confidence in him.
I had this exact experience when I took my foster tortoise to a highly recommended zoo vet.
He told me to add dog food to the leopards diet. I was so incredibly disappointed.

Turbotort

Florida
Hello everyone,

It's been quite a while sense I've posted and I have some bad news. Little Tort passed away a few weeks ago. Tort was just getting worse and worse and his shell was very thin. I gave him one last soak and he could barely lift himself up and passed shortly afterwards. I'm taking some time away from torts but in a few months I plan to start again. This time with a baby from a proper breeder and I'll be well prepared with a new enclosure.

Thanks everyone for all the help throughout the last year!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Hello everyone,

It's been quite a while sense I've posted and I have some bad news. Little Tort passed away a few weeks ago. Tort was just getting worse and worse and his shell was very thin. I gave him one last soak and he could barely lift himself up and passed shortly afterwards. I'm taking some time away from torts but in a few months I plan to start again. This time with a baby from a proper breeder and I'll be well prepared with a new enclosure.

I am so sorry to hear this. I'm sure little Tort is in peace now and I hope you take comfort knowing that you did absolutely everything you could for the little guy. If only everyone put as much time and effort into their hatchlings. I totally understand that you want to take a break but I truly hope you are able to get another tort someday when you are ready because you are a great person and excellent tortoise owner.

Kasia

Poland
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to read this :( You did everything You could for the Lil'one. Hope You'll try again soon. I think with all that heart You'll be a good tortie keeper :)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I am so sorry. I have experienced this, and understand how sad and frustrating it is. From experience, I can assure you a good breeder makes all the difference.

Turbotort

Florida
Thanks for the kind word everyone! I appreciate that. I'm moving soon to a place that has a side porch that is covered. I plan on getting that 4x4 garden bed with the zipper tent cover. And I may get a redfoot instead sense they tend to be a little smaller than leopards fully grown. So we'll see!