Young Tort.... First time owner need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
tortoisenerd said:
Sorry to take away from the main topic, but I have a side question. What's the shelf life for the ointment? I wouldn't mind keeping some around but it's $10 + shipping or gas money to go find it. Any other must-haves for the tort medicine cabinet?

I'm in disaster prep mode. We got emergency kits for xmas, and bought some emergency tort food and heat sources too.

Josh:
Glad your little tort has his eyes open! Was he responding to you, ie. do you think he's able to see? That's awesome. There are a couple picky eater methods I've heard of: 1) tough love, such as only feeding the good stuff and eventually they will eat it 2) good stuff and their favorites, reducing the quantity of favorites over time. Kinda depends on the situation--whether it's a well-fed picky tort or a little or sickly tort, etc. I'm sure others will have more ideas too. Best wishes.

I checked the exp. date on the tube I bought, it said 12/09. I dont know how fresh it was when i bought it, so im just guessing a shelf life of a year maybe?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
OK...sounds like I should just check if it's available near me but not buy it then. Glad the little one is doing well!

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...did you find your thermometer/humidity gauge? Walmart carries one for $12 called AccuRite that has a wire with a probe at the end. It is by the ladders in our store. You will need to leave the probe under the basking spot 45 minutes for a correct reading. Even better is a temp gun, which runs about $25 online. The stick on thermometers are not accurate so don't waste your money. Plus they are registering the temp of the side of the enclosure instead of the basking spot. One end needs to be in the 90's & the other at 80.

what is the brand & number of your UVB bulb? Is it a long fluorescent tube, compact, coil, or MVB? How close is it to him? What is the watts of his heat source?
good luck
Patsy

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Yea i did find one at walmart thanks though, I have on of those Capture the sun lights im not sure what wattage it is i'll check when i get home its at least 2 feet above him on the oppisite side of his hide. I like to keep his hide side dark and more humid. But i have a 150 watt ceramic heat emitter about a foot above him with a dimmer switch wired in to it, so i can adjust the temp. I have it at about 80% humidity right now and about 85 degrees and the hot side and 75 on the cooler side but i'll bump it up a few degrees when i get home. Does This sound alright??? I've also started doing somthing new before i go to bed i always rinse and take about a 30 min hot shower no soap or anything just to relax, Ive been putting him in a tupperware bowl in the back of the shower with some warm water in it. He is far enough back to where the water doesnt hit him but its nice and warm and foggy in there. He seems to really like it, I think it hydrates him real well and it opens his eyes all the way. Do you think this could be bad for him?

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...the shower is a great idea as long as the water isn't too hot & as long as you don't use soap. Make sure when you take him out you put him under his heat source to keep him warm.
I don't know what the Capture the sun light is.
Good humidity. Might want to bump his hot spot 5 degrees to 90.
good luck
Patsy

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Thank you all for all the helpfull info. He is doing much better. It was hydration problem without a doubt. After i used that ointment for a few days and fixed his enclosure to make it sustain high humidity better, his eyes have stayed open and they look healthy. His appetite has also increased. Anway ill post some pics soon THANK YOU

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Josh, I am so glad your little RF is doing well. Keep up th good work, and I am looking forward to seeing pics.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
Crazy1 said:
Josh, I am so glad your little RF is doing well. Keep up th good work, and I am looking forward to seeing pics.

I put pics of him up in the pictures thread

Status
Not open for further replies.