young tortoise plastron black spots coming off

theodorejr

Location (City and/or State)
Austria
hey guys its me again!!

today i bathed my young hermann's as always and i noticed on their plastron the black spots, when i brush over it, it seems to be soften like its just color thats painted on them (lol?) idk how to explain it but idk is it normal for a young hermann's to lose its kind of color like that or has maybe my tap water too much chalk?
if u need more information about my issue please let me know, im going to attach a picture that shows what spots im talking about (the picture is not new i just want to highlight what spots i mean)

Attachments

• IMG_7244.jpeg
    IMG_7244.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I don’t suppose you’d mind uploading some photos of your tortoises plastron so the members can have a look at it and hopefully help advise you further🙂

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
Im not sure which part ur talking about? His plastron looks normal to me and the wrinkles where the belly button healed over is normal. Babies plastrons are pliable not completely solid ( almost like a plastic lid that has a lil give to it if u squeeze) has it gotten softer since you’ve had him?

theodorejr

Austria
Im not sure which part ur talking about? His plastron looks normal to me and the wrinkles where the belly button healed over is normal. Babies plastrons are pliable not completely solid ( almost like a plastic lid that has a lil give to it if u squeeze) has it gotten softer since you’ve had him?
no its not really soft just the color is kinda coming off

theodorejr

Austria
Never heard of color coming off. Are u sure its not some poop ur seeing that was stuck to plastron ?
hmm yeah could be possible that it wasnt the color itself, it just feels really weird to brush over but maybe thats bc of the healed belly button.. but if the wrinkles are okay im not worried

zovick

10 Year Member!
hmm yeah could be possible that it wasnt the color itself, it just feels really weird to brush over but maybe thats bc of the healed belly button.. but if the wrinkles are okay im not worried
Everything looks all right to me. I would recommend just leaving it alone.

Make sure if/when you brush the plastron (and carapace also) to use a very soft brush, like a child's toothbrush. You need to be quite careful not to brush very hard in the seams between the scutes where new growth is taking place, and especially down the midline where the yolk sac attachment scar is healing over with new bone and shell growth.

You don't want to make these areas bleed and possibly cause an infection which could give you real problems.