Yukon red foot!

QuennNugget

Location (City and/or State)
Yukon Territory, Canada
Hi there - we have a 9 year old red foot and live just outside of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory in northern Canada. Nugget is very active, and we adore her. Really happy to be here, hoping there are others in the near arctic/sub arctic who can give me some advice.

Thanks so much!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome
Give us all the info about it's care, lights, heat, humidity, enclosure, size of enclosure, diet, etc and we can help you better it's life if needed.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, have any pics of Nugget?

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum.

QuennNugget

Yukon Territory, Canada
Hello and Welcome
Give us all the info about it's care, lights, heat, humidity, enclosure, size of enclosure, diet, etc and we can help you better it's life if needed.
Wonderful! I have two UV lights and a heat lamp, she's in an open top tortoise table, I have a fogger that she seems love (she sits beneath it like a night club diva) it's a bit hard to gauge the humidity because of the open top. The enclosure is about 12 square feet. She eats mazuri diet for red foots, as well as lots of blueberries and zucchini and collard - and in the summer dandelion greens. She gets a warm bath every few days.

I love her so much.

65CA4953-4759-4352-980D-10951DEC74CC_1_105_c.jpeg71D0F094-2F96-49C8-A5E1-D643BB39D830_1_105_c.jpegF77E1878-32D8-4E83-8708-636368A9E261_1_105_c.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You might want to consider a green house top to put over her enclosure to keep humidity in, she does have pyramiding. Sitting under a fogger might be due to lack of Humidity. A fogger or mister inside is not the safest to use.
Also it's very dangerous letting her roam your house. So many get hurt, sick, or killed by this.
Pop up greenhouses can be set up indoors. Maybe one that partially fits her area so she has the choice of high humidity in the greenhouse and less outside of it
Something like the picture can be set up inside. There are many different sizes, even many that you could stand up in.
Screenshot_20240215-075015.png

QuennNugget

Yukon Territory, Canada
You might want to consider a green house top to put over her enclosure to keep humidity in, she does have pyramiding. Sitting under a fogger might be due to lack of Humidity. A fogger or mister inside is not the safest to use.
Also it's very dangerous letting her roam your house. So many get hurt, sick, or killed by this.
Pop up greenhouses can be set up indoors. Maybe one that partially fits her area so she has the choice of high humidity in the greenhouse and less outside of it
Something like the picture can be set up inside. There are many different sizes, even many that you could stand up in.
View attachment 370303
This is great advice! We've only had her a year, she had two previous owners before us. Is it possible to reverse pyramiding?

Once we have a sort of cover or greenhouse can I use a fogger or mister in that area?

Thank you so much! This is amazingly helpful!

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
WELCOME, Beautiful territory you live in. Pyramiding is permanent, I am no expert and I'm sure one will respond to that though.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
This is great advice! We've only had her a year, she had two previous owners before us. Is it possible to reverse pyramiding?

Once we have a sort of cover or greenhouse can I use a fogger or mister in that area?

Thank you so much! This is amazingly helpful!
I would not use a fogger. If you dampen the substrate, from the bottom, by pouring warm water into the corners, the underside will dampen leaving the top dryer. This should bring the humidity up, but be sure to have some heat in the greenhouse portion as you need heat with moisture to get humidity.
Pyramiding can not be reversed, but you can get new growth to grow in smoother, plus RF needs a high humidity, 80%

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@QuennNugget ..... Micro droplets of water are not good to be breathed in by your tort, it's better to do as @wellington said and create Humidity by other means. With a Red Foot the humidity needs to be pretty high and this is VERY hard to do when it's an open top, if not impossible.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome to the forum! Please give your Redfoot tortoise protein such as hard boiled egg in the shell, cut in half, cooked chicken meat, sardines in water. Also cuttlebone for calcium or Repticalcium powder sprinkled on his greens or weeds twice per week. They also thrive on opuntia cactus pads, and pumpkin vine leaves and flowers, clover, dandelion.

COmtnLady

Colorado
Welcome to the forum.

Our Red Foot came to us pyramided, too. As she's gotten bigger it seems like its getting a little better, but it could just be its spread over a bigger shell... I always put the positive spin on it that it gives me more traction when picking her up.
Since she found us she's had a covered enclosure that I try to keep at 80% humidity and 80F/27C. That at least keeps it from getting worse.