ZOOMED grassland food

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn

5 Year Member
Any experience on how to prepare this to be more palatable for my russian? I've been moistening it w\ water and sprinkling it on top of his greens. He'll eat it, but not like his other foods. I do like the fiber content and variety in this food but wonder if I may be preparing it wrong for him. Any other suggestions?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
my torts will not touch the stuff some like some dont :D have you tried mazuri?

Schlomo

5 Year Member
I tried some of this stuff before my Mazuri order came in. None of the Tortoises would touch it - I tried to mix it in with the veggies, but they would try to avoid it as much as they could. Just got the Mazuri a couple of days ago and they seem to like it a lot more.

Dawn

5 Year Member
coreyc said:

Where do I find Mazuri and what exactly is it? Similar to the grassland stuff?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Dawn said:
coreyc said:

Where are you located ?There are a few members who sell it

Dawn

5 Year Member
coreyc said:
Dawn said:
coreyc said:

Where are you located ?There are a few members who sell it
Berkshires of Massachusetts.

Dawn

5 Year Member
Schlomo said:
Dawn said:
Schlomo said:

Thanks, I'll have to check it out.

I thought that link Mazuri link was for 10lbs, not just 1lb. I actually ordered the 25lb bag. Looks like you can get smaller sizes here: http://spikethebest.weebly.com/mazuri-tortoise-food.html
Thanks1 I'll buy the 1lb bag to see if he likes it. The price includes the shipping which is cheaper than the Mazuri direct site. Again, thanks so much. Do you feed it moistened alone, or on top of his greens?

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
When I serve Zoo Med food, I also rehydrate some cat food and mix that in with it (I have redfoots) and they've always gone nuts for it, even though they aren't crazy about grass, which looks to be a large component. While protein is not regularily suggested for non-forest species, it might be worth a try to get them to start eating it. Now my redfoots will eat the zoo med even if I leave the cat food out, they just needed to learn it was good food.

pandacakes

5 Year Member
Oregon
This was a no go in my house. He wouldn't even touch the stuff. He will nibble a little on mazuri, but still doesn't really like it.

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi, at first my pair of pancakes wouldnt touch it. i mix it with spring mix. they like it now , but my female got so fat , i use it twice a week. its funny when they look up when they are eating its all over their faces! good luck with what ever you use. lindy

John

5 Year Member
None of my tortoises will eat the grassland but they all eat the mazuri.

razerx

5 Year Member
Years ago when I didn't know anything about raising torts I fed my Leopard Rep Cal "fruity pebbles". Leo couldn't get enough of the stuff and grew really fast and of course pyramided and died young. I got a baby Star last year and again fed it Rep Cal but thanks to the internet I became more aware about animal nutrition. To ween my Star off Rep Cal I started diluting it with Zoomed grassland which is much more healthier. I started out combining three Zoomed pellets with six Rep Cal pebbles all soaked and mushed together. The smell of the Rep Cal is really strong and the tort comes running and eat the whole thing. Without the Rep Cal the tort won't touch the stuff unfortunately. Over the past few months I have been mixing in gradually less and less Rep Cal and now it is 3 Zoomed pellets to 3 Rep Cal Pebble. That is just the staple; the Star gets a different side dish everyday such as spring mix one day, cactus the next, Chinese greens, etc., but never anything sweet like fruit or high in protein content such as peas, beans or corn. I am still learning!

Dawn

5 Year Member
razerx said:
Years ago when I didn't know anything about raising torts I fed my Leopard Rep Cal "fruity pebbles". Leo couldn't get enough of the stuff and grew really fast and of course pyramided and died young. I got a baby Star last year and again fed it Rep Cal but thanks to the internet I became more aware about animal nutrition. To ween my Star off Rep Cal I started diluting it with Zoomed grassland which is much more healthier. I started out combining three Zoomed pellets with six Rep Cal pebbles all soaked and mushed together. The smell of the Rep Cal is really strong and the tort comes running and eat the whole thing. Without the Rep Cal the tort won't touch the stuff unfortunately. Over the past few months I have been mixing in gradually less and less Rep Cal and now it is 3 Zoomed pellets to 3 Rep Cal Pebble. That is just the staple; the Star gets a different side dish everyday such as spring mix one day, cactus the next, Chinese greens, etc., but never anything sweet like fruit or high in protein content such as peas, beans or corn. I am still learning!
:):)
Cool idea! I tried mixing it in a mush w\ the grassland alone and that was a 'no go' for Jack- he wouldn't touch it. Now I shred it moistened on top of his greens and he'll he it but not like he does his 'TRex pebbles. I'll try to mash it w/ his pebbles as you suggested and see if that works. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.