1.4 Russian Tortoise Creep

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20220326_150136328~2.jpgI've picked up these five torts (Chili, Persephone, Bertha, Wilhelmina, and Eunice) over the past few years, rescues off of Craigslist mostly (except for Persephone, who was found muddy early in springtime in a park in Virginia).

PXL_20220327_122516203~3.jpg

The females live together in an enclosure and the male has his own enclosure but visits with them on occasion.

I'm excited (and bet they are too) now that the New Hampshire weather is warning up and they can get outside for lots of the summer.

Jamie

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
View attachment 342448I've picked up these five torts (Chili, Persephone, Bertha, Wilhelmina, and Eunice) over the past few years, rescues off of Craigslist mostly (except for Persephone, who was found muddy early in springtime in a park in Virginia).

View attachment 342449

The females live together in an enclosure and the male has his own enclosure but visits with them on occasion.

I'm excited (and bet they are too) now that the New Hampshire weather is warning up and they can get outside for lots of the summer.

Jamie
I love it. Where I am you'll never see them. I see that everywhere else russian torts are seen as almost a second best tort, so I'm glad that people like you care and love them. You can really see they look great!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I think they're a fantastic and fascinating tortoise!

One of the females has a number of healed over puncture wounds that I'm guessing are from a dog in her former life, but in general they're really healthy for essentially a group of foundlings.

J

Last edited:

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
So wonderful. I am guessing Persephone is the one eating in picture. I'm glad she is doing so great.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
So wonderful. I am guessing Persephone is the one eating in picture. I'm glad she is doing so great.
She is... good eye!

If I had the space I could have 25 Russians off of Craigslist... people who thought it'd be cool but aren't in it for the long-term.

J

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I was right! I'm just happy Chile likes her...she is a pretty tortoise.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Probably because she is fiestey.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Me too... I wonder, though, if Chili might be too old.

He was an adult when his previous owner acquired him about 25 years ago.

J
I don't have any verified records for Russians, but I know of two 100 year old galaps that produce lots of babies annually, so I don't think his age would be an impediment, even if he were 50.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
I don't have any verified records for Russians, but I know of two 100 year old galaps that produce lots of babies annually, so I don't think his age would be an impediment, even if he were 50.
Great news... he seems healthy and active enough.

J

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20220624_141141305_2 (1).jpg

I got the Russians outside yesterday for about 8 hours, and they seemed to enjoy the sun and nibbling on weeds and exploring the outside enclosure. The fifth tort, Eunice, was in the other end of the enclosure, enjoying some alone time with a patch of clover. Chili can be seen pitching woo at Persephone near the back of the enclosure... he's very nearly exclusive with her in his attentions.

Jamie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I knew that was her.. lol

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20230123_142709448~2.jpg

All of the females in my Russian creep enjoying some salad this morning... they were very active this morning and I wondered if it had anything to do with the low-pressure associated with a big snowstorm we've been dealing with.

Chili would like to come over for a visit, but I normally only do that once in a while, when I can sit and watch to make sure he doesn't injure any of the females (although he mostly just courts and mates with Persephone).

Jamie

PS - I saw the blue thing just after I took the picture and fished it out... a random bit of plastic, like the thing that opens a pack of cigarettes, although none of the ladies smoke. ;)

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Persephone is sassy. Is she the lowest one in the picture?