100? (years old)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Could I expect my russian to live to be 100? He's only 4.5'' now, so he's just 'a little guy' and has some growing to do, but is that expectation plausible for russians?
Thank you :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Could I expect my russian to live to be 100? He's only 4.5'' now, so he's just 'a little guy' and has some growing to do, but is that expectation plausible for russians?
Thank you :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No one knows. We won't have this answer for at least 200 years, and even then there are so many variables to consider.

From what I have seen and studied a 100 year lifespan is at least plausible.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Is this why petstores and even some care sheets say 50+ years? I mean assuming franklin is around 7 (we'll never really know) I have until around 70 with him at a 50 year span, (wanted a lifelong pet and I got him) so I guess what i'm saying is, what is the expected lifespan estimate right now? because the 100 surprises me after hearing 50+ for so long. Not gonna lie this makes me happy!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Smarch those "estimates" are just made up and completely arbitrary. No one has statistics or studies on this. Captive breeding and even tortoise keeping, is a relatively new thing. Sure a few people had tortoises in their yards 50 years ago, but we really only started learning how to care for them properly fairly recently. In order to know their age we also need to know their birthdate. Not possible with the WC animals of yesteryear.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
Is this why petstores and even some care sheets say 50+ years? I mean assuming franklin is around 7 (we'll never really know) I have until around 70 with him at a 50 year span, (wanted a lifelong pet and I got him) so I guess what i'm saying is, what is the expected lifespan estimate right now? because the 100 surprises me after hearing 50+ for so long. Not gonna lie this makes me happy!

Take my tortoise Peter for example, he was wc and has been in the family for 60 years now. And he's still going strong!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Take my tortoise Peter for example, he was wc and has been in the family for 60 years now. And he's still going strong!
Not going to lie I'm really excited about this! The fact that i'll never have to say goodbye to him, and that he'll be the one saying goodbye to me... since he'll have no idea i'm gone. Nank is also WC, I only guess he's 7 now since I asked about how old he may be and someone here said no way of knowing but 5 is a good guess, so 5 it was and I've had him for 2 years now.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It's plausible, but captivity life spans in reptiles tend to lower life spands. But if you kept them in as natural environment and a natural diet I see why it couldn't out live you. Gotta update us in 90 years ;)

Kyle

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
It's plausible, but captivity life spans in reptiles tend to lower life spands. But if you kept them in as natural environment and a natural diet I see why it couldn't out live you. Gotta update us in 90 years ;)

Kyle
If I'm still around :p
I thought captivity raised life spans, especially if they are kept properly and looked after?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Whoa, 60 years?? And he might even be older, because he was probably kicking around in the wild for a bit before now!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Smarch those "estimates" are just made up and completely arbitrary. No one has statistics or studies on this. Captive breeding and even tortoise keeping, is a relatively new thing. Sure a few people had tortoises in their yards 50 years ago, but we really only started learning how to care for them properly fairly recently. In order to know their age we also need to know their birthdate. Not possible with the WC animals of yesteryear.
I suppose this is all true to me anyways since he's one of those WC animals from not yesteryear, but however old he really was, he wasn't full grown so I at least know that much. The estimates will always change too since we're still learning new and better care ways even now

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Not going to lie I'm really excited about this! The fact that i'll never have to say goodbye to him, and that he'll be the one saying goodbye to me... since he'll have no idea i'm gone. Nank is also WC, I only guess he's 7 now since I asked about how old he may be and someone here said no way of knowing but 5 is a good guess, so 5 it was and I've had him for 2 years now.
:<3:
After having turtles/tortoises and even just animals that can potentially live for a long time (such as a blue tongue skink) make me think that I'll never go back to keeping shorter lived animals, I just don't want to do 'that' again and again, but now, for the next 40 years or so (the turtles might live a shorter amount time) I'll get to know them in entirety, creating a relationship that I don't have to say goodbye to anytime soon.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
:<3:
After having turtles/tortoises and even just animals that can potentially live for a long time (such as a blue tongue skink) make me think that I'll never go back to keeping shorter lived animals, I just don't want to do 'that' again and again, but now, for the next 40 years or so (the turtles might live a shorter amount time) I'll get to know them in entirety, creating a relationship that I don't have to say goodbye to anytime soon.
I still want dogs, but Nanks the only guy that'll be there for it all, someone to cry to and listen when i'm upset... even if he doesn't understand he does noticeably sense emotion, he's usually shy, but when I go to him sad or crying he's a completely different tortoise! He's the one who I'll grow old with

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Well, hopefully the cats will hand around for a few more years :<3: but yes, the turtles and torts will just hang around :tort::<3:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
did u notice its leg? i wonder what happened? it would be very bad if pets could talk, they know way to much lol
HA! The dirt mine could dish out... :eek: I did, her nails looked really bad, and one was missing completely. They she hibernates, so maybe hibernation really does have health benefits :confused:

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
if i had to guess i'd say she possibly had a run in with a dog at some point as i notices a few scales missing and some shell damage too. i suppose getting to that age a few battle scares are to be expected. pretty awesome to think whats happened and how things have changed in its life time. i would love to think my grand kids could be looking after sparky long after i've gone :D

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I know, three generations... That's what I'm thinking of :<3:well, yes, 116 years is longer than the majority of hums can brag about! :p