1st annual (I think/hope) Tortoise Forum Virtual Conference/Party/Meeting

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Malverne, NY
While I could listen to Maggie's stories all day, can we get back on track of the thread

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I was able to buy 2 from some guy in a black hoodie.
You're in Pottstown! I lived in Philadelphia in the 90's for a job. I lived on Rittenhouse Square in an apartment house with a freakin door man!!! Way much for this California girl (sing the song). IMO, people on the East Coast have their noses way up in the air. They are seriously snobbish, and I was a way liberal. When I talked to a East Coaster they immediately said you're from California huh!?

Different part of the east coast than I’m from I guess. Living in CA redefined my thresholds on what it means to be elitist / snobbish and not in a good way.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
We have a lot of listeners so far, we have yet to get any speakers....

@Tom @Kapidolo Farms @Markw84 @jsheffield

I’d suggest polls with some specific potential topics that people want a discussion on, and then find a host or speaker for the most desired topics. One poll could be general topics (enclosures, lighting etc.) and another could be a species list to see if there is demand for information on specific species. Maybe 10-15 minute presentation by a host followed by open discussion. Could also do a series of back to back shorter presentations to allow several perspectives on the same subject.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I'm thinking that your biggest problem will be finding a time that many members can attend.

Between folks who work, and time zones just in the USA, let alone around the world, someone is always going to be left out.

And how about older members who don't Zoom?

I don't mean to be a downer, but you need to address these issues before getting all fired up.

Other than practicality, I think it's a great idea.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I'm thinking that your biggest problem will be finding a time that many members can attend.

Between folks who work, and time zones just in the USA, let alone around the world, someone is always going to be left out.

And how about older members who don't Zoom?

I don't mean to be a downer, but you need to address these issues before getting all fired up.

Other than practicality, I think it's a great idea.
It doesn't have to be a zoom meeting per se,. We could post the talks on YouTube live which would have a live chat feature and then post it on the forum after for all to see at their leisure. There are plenty of things to work out but I think it would be fairly easy figure out the medium that works best.

pheasanb

defiance, oh
I would 'attend' the Inaugural Tortoise Forum Virtual Conference.

If someone needs help with zoom on a computer or phone I can help walk them through the set up.