1st post here. Help with seeds for outdoor enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

AslInterpreter

5 Year Member
Hello everyone!! This is my first post here in the forum. We have a 5 year old Sulcatta named Thomas..........along with a couple of breeding pairs of Panther Chameleons and two Sphynx cats:D

Last year when we started putting Thomas outside during the spring and summer, he ate all the regular grass in our yard, this year I have expanded his enclosure and am looking to sow some different types of grasses/weeds/hays. Can someone give me an idea of what to buy and where to buy it? We live in Missouri and have several tractor supply stores and other farm places( I guess that is one positive about living here!). Can I get seeds from a place like that or do I need to order things online??

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Jeffrey

October

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Tan Valley, Arizona
There are a ton of places to buy it online, like sulcatafood.com or Carolina Pet Supply. But I know there's at least one keeper on TFO that mentioned they just buy pasture mix from their local nursery. If you've got a large area to cover, maybe a general pasture mix with a couple packets of other goodies mixed in, like dandelion, plantain, etc?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello Jeffrey and welcome to the forum.

I have found that unless you section off an area so that your Sulcata does not have acces to it and it's hard to grow grass or weeds because it's plucked as soon as it grows.

I go to feed stores to get a lot of stuff and if it's something I can't find then I order online.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Sulcatafood.com Carolina.com Or Look For Edible Seeds At Home Depot, Lowes or OnLine On Amazon or ebay!

You can Buy Many Grasses, Dandelion, Hibiscus Flower Seeds At Stores

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jeffrey:

Welcome to the forum!!

American Sign Language, huh? I'm always amazed when I see people speaking ASL, at the speed with which they can sign and interpret!

I have bought seeds from a couple different places, but the ones that sprouted best and quickest (meaning fresh) were from Carolinapetsupply.com. They have a grazing tortoise mixture that consists of different grasses, weeds and thistles that the sulcatas really go for.

I've also bought from turtlestuff.com, but it takes a very long time to get your order from them.

Some people here on the forum have used sulcatafood.com with good results.

Look at them all and decide which has the mixture you want.

I'd love to see some pictures!

AslInterpreter

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the quick replies!! I will check a couple of places on the way home today, if I don't see anything I will definitely buy some online! It has been staying rather cool here recently so I hope that helps out in getting the seeds off to a good start before it gets too hot here!!

Yes I am a freelance ASL interpreter:D. I have been for about 15 years and my wife has been a freelancers for 11. We specialize in medical and legal work. It's an amazing job..... I really don't feel like it is a "job" tho :). Well when the ER or jail calls in the middle of the night, that feels like a job!!![/align]

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
FernandoM said:
I went to my local feed store and purchased wild bird feed seeds. .75 Cents per lb.

I agree with Fernando. Wild Bird seed works great and comes up quick. Only problem I have with it is there is alot of "grasses" that pop up and my Russian and Greek don't eat grasses. Sulcata's should love it though!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
SnakeyeZ said:
FernandoM said:
I went to my local feed store and purchased wild bird feed seeds. .75 Cents per lb.

I agree with Fernando. Wild Bird seed works great and comes up quick. Only problem I have with it is there is alot of "grasses" that pop up and my Russian and Greek don't eat grasses. Sulcata's should love it though!

This is true. Surprisingly, my russians are eating it up! It could be the fact that I have nothing else enticing to them at the moment :p

But I plan on buying another couple pounds for the sulcatas enclosure I just made.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well the nice thing about the bird seed is the varety you get in it. I get all sorts of grasses and some of them in my green house are standing up like 8 inches now. I also get a bunch of clover looking things and wider leaves. I just cut them and chop them up into smaller cuttings and add them to some broader leaves for variety.

Here's what ours looks like... this is an old picture but you get the picture.

IMG_0620.jpg

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
welcome. I'm going to try planting some bird seed. it sounds like a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.