2 company but 3's a crowd

tortwalt

5 Year Member
So I've heard that two shouldn't be kept together, but what about 3 or more? I've got 5 acres of land for them to roam on but will be keeping them in an enclosed area of an acre or so. Just curious what y'all's thoughts were.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Any time you have more then one, problems can happen. So be prepared to at any time have more then one enclosure to divide them into.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
With an area of 1acre set up for them, I think you could really have more than 3. Site barriers, clumps of shrubbery for hiding, should be fine. Also, what is your heated night box like? Size?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
stinax182 said:
only get more tortoises for yourself, not your pets. they would vote to be alone and the center of your attention any day.

Amen!!!

If you want more tortoises, get more tortoises...but your tortoise doesn't want or need company. Just realize that he's not going to be a happy camper having to share with the new guy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like how Jacqui phrased this. Absolutely true. Anyone keeping more than a single tortoise in an enclosure should have a back up plan to separate them if need be. With sulcatas at least, females can be very aggressive and territorial too. Not usually, but sometimes.

I would go with at least three and either one or no males. I you put an adult male in with a couple of females, you will have your own little egg making factory there. Expect about 100 babies per year per female. That's a lot of babies to find homes for and its a lot of work.