2 more redfoots

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
About 2 months back we had a phonecall off Dawns cousin asking why one of her 2 redfoots had a runny nose and was lethargic. In the end the vet gave her antibiotics for flu symptoms. She's now fine.
2 weeks ago she asked us if we would take them off her because they just had a baby and can't provide enough space for them until they move house . We said we would think about it. Yesterday she asked us again, saying she didn't want anyone else to have them. So we reluctantly said yes. We had never seen these torts before, she kept them in a 3x6ft vivarium.
Well they arrived last night at 7pm. Shocked and upset is an understatement.
They were given totally the wrong advice from day 1. They had these for 4yrs.
A vet told them some time ago not to let them outside until they have had jabs so not to catch any diseases. For this reason they have never ever been outside.
There is 1 male and 1 female.
Their diet is way off, favorite foods are sweet corn, carrots and peas.
When I opened the box they brought them in the poop was a yellowish color, diarrhea consistency with sweet corn in it.
The worst pyramiding I've seen on a redfoot and I'm thinking there must be some MBD involved.
When I showed her my smooth juveniles the exact words were from the husband "oh, do they get the bumps later then" .
They are very light in weight too.
I've quarantined them in an area about 5x9ft. They will be in here until April.
Trying to keep positive, the head and limb colors are outstanding.
They are active and are eating.
I gave them a good soak yesterday and they are walking strong on their feet, not dragging the knees on the floor.
We are feeding them weeds, with spring greens and mushrooms until the poop comes right. I need to get a good uvb light over the food plate and I'm think I should give them calcium D3 powder too. I'll also keep soaking them.
They are about 9.5" SCL.
One of the aspects of torting I feel I need to learn more about is health issues. Well I'm thinking these 2 are certainly going to help bring me up to speed in that department.
Sorry about rubbish photos, I'm running out of excuses, the fact is I'll never make it as a photographer.
IMG_20161019_190704.jpg IMG_20161019_190451.jpg IMG_20161019_190430.jpg IMG_20161019_190323.jpg IMG_20161019_190045.jpg IMG_20161019_185902.jpg IMG_20161019_185856.jpg IMG_20161019_185844.jpg IMG_20161019_185643.jpg IMG_20161019_185629.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Poor ugly babies. I've seen worse, but not many. 4 of my 6 have pretty bad pyramids and were dumped on me with terrible diets, no outdoor experiences, sores, dryness, etc. They are obviously still ugly, but they have come a long way.

How are their temperaments?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Poor ugly babies. I've seen worse, but not many. 4 of my 6 have pretty bad pyramids and were dumped on me with terrible diets, no outdoor experiences, sores, dryness, etc. They are obviously still ugly, but they have come a long way.

How are their temperaments?
Not sure yet, I've basically left them alone for now. Fed watered and sprayed them today, they ate most of the food so I put some more in, the water dish was dirty so someone has been in that, I'll Let them get used to the new enclosure before I start handling them. They are still scared. I found the female on her back earlier, and there is dirt on the barrier, so she's been trying to climb out.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
They are really colorful, the pyramiding is bad. Don't fret, they seem pretty strong despite the terrible conditions and diet. This reminds me of our first redfoot, Tallulah. I have to look for the old post with her old pictures. I think she may have been worse off than your two. It takes time, but they will rebound nicely so long as you make sure there are no parasites or other issues that will hinder their new healthier life. Overall, I think they will be fine with some long term TLC. Glad they found their way to you and to a new life.

Edit: here is the post, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tallulah-and-pyramiding-over-7-years.15242/. I really need to post an update of Tallulah.

Last edited:

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Lucky Redfoots to have you caring for them now. Best of luck!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I'm glad they've found their way to you, though I understand your reluctance with space, time, etc.
Good luck and keep us posted on their progress when you can.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
They are really colorful, the pyramiding is bad. Don't fret, they seem pretty strong despite the terrible conditions and diet. This reminds me of our first redfoot, Tallulah. I have to look for the old post with her old pictures. I think she may have been worse off than your two. It takes time, but they will rebound nicely so long as you make sure there are no parasites or other issues that will hinder their new healthier life. Overall, I think they will be fine with some long term TLC. Glad they found their way to you and to a new life.

Edit: here is the post, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/tallulah-and-pyramiding-over-7-years.15242/. I really need to post an update of Tallulah.
Just read that thread, the growth difference on Tallulah is amazing. I'll take some good photos of these 2 and see how they compare in a few years, and I think Tallulah looked worse than these 2.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm glad they've found their way to you, though I understand your reluctance with space, time, etc.
Good luck and keep us posted on their progress when you can.
Could have really done without another 2 adults, but it is what it is. When Dawn kept relaying the messages prior to seeing them , I said we would look after them until they buy a new bigger home, at which point they can take them back. However we never actually said that to them. After receiving these 2 torts and seeing what they are like, they ain't having these back. Period.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Here is Tallulah this morning. The difference from before to now is profound. Luckily you can see that recovery from a bad start is possible.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477141884.971455.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477141896.487926.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477141963.368950.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1477141974.872410.jpg

She is by far my favorite tortoise. Not the prettiest or best producing, but friendliest and awesome!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Here is Tallulah this morning. The difference from before to now is profound. Luckily you can see that recovery from a bad start is possible.View attachment 190139View attachment 190140View attachment 190141View attachment 190142

She is by far my favorite tortoise. Not the prettiest or best producing, but friendliest and awesome!
This gives me hope, thank you. My 2 are about 9". So still some growing to do.
Can't believe how Tallulah turned out, she looks good to me.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
This gives me hope, thank you. My 2 are about 9". So still some growing to do.
Can't believe how Tallulah turned out, she looks good to me.

I think what surprises me the most about Tallulah is that her severe MBD resulted in that downward sloping carapace, that's really improved in the pictures above. Very impressive!

Lu_x85

Oh bless them! And you for taking them in and getting them on the road to a healthier life.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Well at last we have weather warm enough for the adults to be outside.
I don't think these 2 got outside much if ever with their previous owner, may very well be their first time outside.

Anyway, Walter seems to be enjoying our bed of clover. Yep, no auto correct messing things up, his name is Walter. :D

download_20170331_140920.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That tortoise "rescue" (seeking out and selling donated tortoises) down south of me tried to bait and switch two very pyramided Redfoot for sale, but they weren't quite that bad.
Otherwise healthy? That's great.
I don't know how I missed this thread last year.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
That tortoise "rescue" (seeking out and selling donated tortoises) down south of me tried to bait and switch two very pyramided Redfoot for sale, but they weren't quite that bad.
Otherwise healthy? That's great.
I don't know how I missed this thread last year.
The male was very light in weight when we got them, he's very heavy now, and his activity levels seem to have rocketed this last couple of weeks. I think he's trying to find his pecking order in the herd all of a sudden, I caught him trying to bite the others heads yesterday, anyone who went near him he had a go at, later I went back into the enclosure and he had been flipped, I need to keep an eye on things. This may be the first redfoot I have that is not going to get on with the rest, I'll see what happens over the next few weeks, and hope someone puts him in his place.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
The male was very light in weight when we got them, he's very heavy now, and his activity levels seem to have rocketed this last couple of weeks. I think he's trying to find his pecking order in the herd all of a sudden, I caught him trying to bite the others heads yesterday, anyone who went near him he had a go at, later I went back into the enclosure and he had been flipped, I need to keep an eye on things. This may be the first redfoot I have that is not going to get on with the rest, I'll see what happens over the next few weeks, and hope someone puts him in his place.
Do you have an "alpha male" whose position is now being challenged?