2 Russians in 40 Gal Tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
Hi All.

I've done a lot of reading and looking around on this subject and I think I know the answer but I want to be 100% sure.

I have Russian tortoise with a Straight Carapace Length of almost 4.5 inches. I believe he's between 1-5 yrs old. I've had him for a few months now and he's grown to like his home. I have him in a 40 gallon glass tank who's sides have been covered. Inside I have 1 small artificial plant, one half of a follow log (he goes inside it to sleep or climbs on top of it to bask), 1 water container and 2 flat stones to place his food on. I have the tank filled with eco-earth from Zoo Med substrate. The depth of this is 2.5 to 3 inches across the floor of the tank.

My question is: with these conditions... would I have room for another Russian Tortoise?

If yes, then what sex? Male or female? My current one has a longer tail that sticks to the side so I've always presumed he's male. Can I even go with another tortoise species or would that be too much?

Let me know!

Thanks!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Two Russians in any size area is not a good idea, regardless of their gender. Groups of 3 or more can work in large outdoor enclosures.

In the wild, Russians are largely solitary. They roam large distances, meeting up to mate and then moving on. They don't get lonely and don't need or want company.

In captivity they become very jealous of their territory and food and the resident regularly objects to a newcomer arriving. The butting, biting and mounting can lead to blood being drawn and the subordinate tortoise becomes withdrawn, ill and could die.

Any new tortoise you buy MUST be kept in quarantine, entirely separate from yours, for a good 6-12 months to prevent illness.

If you get another tortoise, you must be prepared to keep it separately on a permanent basis.

Two little tortoises look so cute, but they're wild creatures with their own habits (that aren't human) and they should be treated as such

MikeCow1

5 Year Member
Orange County, CA
IMO, way to small especially for Russians. Males are usually best kept by themselves except maybe in a pretty large outdoor enclosure. even then it can be a problem

yuri2012

5 Year Member
MikeCow1 said:
IMO, way to small especially for Russians. Males are usually best kept by themselves except maybe in a pretty large outdoor enclosure. even then it can be a problem

Thanks guys. That's what I thought but I wanted to give it a shot - he does always look lonely but that's just me assuming he wants company.

I'll hold off on it. Thanks for your help.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Is there any way you could build an outdoor enclosure for them?

yuri2012

5 Year Member
kimber_lee_314 said:
Is there any way you could build an outdoor enclosure for them?

Unfortunately not one that's big enough. I'm in an apartment and the only "outdoor" space that's mine is a 5th floor balcony. I'm going to the pet store now to see what assembled "out-side play pens" they have with overhead protection from birds/predators and such.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
40 gallons is a great size for a hatchling russian. I think yours needs something bigger.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
If you do decide you want to get a larger enclosure, look on craigslist. I just it a 100 gallon for 80. People are always getting rid of them.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I hate to say it, but I concur with the others that have already mentioned that a 40 gallon isn't even big enough for ONE Russian. My Russians are some of the most active tortoises I have. Anything that you can do to expand his space would be fantastic. At the risk of stating the obvious, it is more important to improve conditions for the tortoise that you already have than to think about getting another one just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.