1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! The 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar is here! Click here to pre-order! Proceeds go directly to keeping TFO online and FREE for all to use! Thank you for your support!

2015 Growth Experiment

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by Tom, May 26, 2015.

1. DeanS

DeanS SULCATA OASIS 5 Year Member

:rolleyes:ONE week until these guys are a year old...stay tuned for updates. :tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::tort::rolleyes:
  2. DeanS

Today, two of the babies Tom hatched last year are a year old! The rest did not hatch out for another week...so I'm going to wait until the 19th to do a full-blown update. However, I will tell you that the two smallest specimens are 1,029 grams and 1,011 grams. The 2 largest...1,564 grams and 1,482 grams. The four in between range from 1,074 grams to 1,305 grams. The three smallest are all between 6.5" and 6.75" while the others are ALL (at least) 7" with the two largest just over 7.5"

Hope that whets your appetite for more... ;) :tort:
    Anyfoot and JoesMum like this.
  3. Kenno

Kenno Well-Known Member

What? Seven inches at one year old?
    At this rate they will unbalance the planet!
  4. DeanS

I certainly hope so!
  5. DeanS

The 8s are a year old today! HUGE thanks to Tom and his brilliance at incubating and brooding! The difference between these and others I raised in the past is that these guys got to spend most of their first year in an artificial burrow...the temp was set at 90º by radiant panel only. I mounted it directly in the center of the ceiling...12" above the top of their carapaces. The footprint of the 'burrow' is 48X24. Being as the RHP measures 32X12, they had the opportunity to seek cooler areas...i.e. the walls of the burrow...which were about 10º cooler than the settings. Although primarily kept in the dark, the burrow does have a Reptisun 10.0 UVB tube mounted at one end...to properly maintain circadian rhythm. These guys (and gals) are the most ridiculously perfect sullies I've ever raised...strong, healthy and ZERO pyramiding! Check out their progress here...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/8-new-babies-from-tom-aka-the-bond-girls-maybe.118641/page-7
    donmacho and JoesMum like this.
  6. Lori lawson

Lori lawson Member

Hey Tom, I have the two baby sulcatas they were supposed to be 6 mos in October. One has doubled in size to now be 6 oz in wt. the other has only gone from 1.85oz to 2.15 oz. any idea why one grows so slow? Both are healthy and eating well
  7. SarahChelonoidis

SarahChelonoidis Well-Known Member

Are they living together as a pair? If so, having one out grow the other is quite common - and part of why it's never recommended to keep them in pairs. A dominant tortoise controls the food and good basking spots so is more successful.
  8. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Yeah… What Sarah said.
  9. Lori lawson

Lori lawson Member

Nope. Torts seperate per toms advice early on. They were supposed to be 6 mos old. Perhaps smaller one was younger?? Do they grow slower when younger? Also, what a great day to keep outdoors! Enclosed of course. But, they don't spend much time in full sun. They both go under small provided shade space. Is that ok? Or should I remove shade spaces?
  10. Lori lawson

Lori lawson Member

I'm not sure how to make a general post to tortoise forum but I really want to find kona a good home. Please let me know that you got my message prior to this one about kona
  11. Stuart S.

Stuart S. Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Hi Lori, if you look for the marketplace section of the forum there are threads for folks that are looking for homes for their torts...if that's what you're referring to. I'm sure someone here would love to take your Kona. Where are you located and do you have any pictures? I hope everything works out.
  12. Stuart S.

Stuart S. Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Hey Lori, I'm sorry I just saw your post in the for sale section. Disregard my last post, I hope you find a home for your baby.
  13. Lori lawson

Lori lawson Member

In desert hot springs,ca. Not sure how to put photo in forum?