2nd Annual Calendar Photo Contest Commentary Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Maybe people can re-submit the original (before they re-sized it on Photobucket)? Would that work, though? I thought pictures had to be made smaller to post them here, if one doesn't want to leave link.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Josh said:
Please keep in mind that if your original photo was 6MP and then you crop it, it is no longer 6MP and will likely be thrown out should it win. We cannot print low resolution photos in the calendar because they will turn out pixelated and grainy. Sorry.

Because of what Josh has said about the size of the pictures, I had to remove my original submission because it was very small. I had to make it small to put on my website, and I didn't save it in its original size. When I tried to make it bigger it lost its clarity, so I knew it wouldn't be any good for the calendar. I substituted the baby desert tortoise picture. If you think I should be disqualified, that's ok, it won't hurt my feelings.

Yvonne

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Making the photo smaller to post on the website is fine, but we will need the original photo to have it printed in the calendar. Note the differences between cropping and resizing...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Josh said:
Making the photo smaller to post on the website is fine, but we will need the original photo to have it printed in the calendar. Note the differences between cropping and resizing...

That's just it, Josh. I didn't save the original picture, and I entered the picture from my web site, which was very small and not able to enlarge it.

I resized the picture to be less pixels then put it on the website. When I open it from the website in my picture program (Irfanview) and re-size it back up to more pixels, it turns out fuzzy. Can't be made bigger.

YVonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Yvonne, If you had to delete your original pic and post a different one before judging I think that should be fine. No disqualifications needed at this point.
Maggie I am glad to see you got Bob in the contest. :)
I agree Stephanie how am I suppose to get anything done looking at the great pics here and trying to pick one to submit?v :p

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I continue to be intrigued by the charismatic Bob, of water-dish-high-centering and furniture-dragging fame. I feel like Maggie caught him at just the right moment in her photo entry. I can almost hear him thinking, "Hey, Food Goddess, look at me! Watch what I can do!"

[I must cite Yvonne for the Food Goddess term; I read it on one of her threads and it is just so appropriate for tortoise keepers :-]

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Only a few days left for submissions! Spread the word!!

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Good question, Shelly... If your photo is among the most voted, I will send you an email requesting the full-size original photo.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Wow Dale's got some heavy competition for the calendar this year. :(

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
This is going to be a great calender! I'm totally going to buy one. It doesn't matter if my little JoJo makes it in or not. I love the way people are bringing out the personalities of their torts.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There was one post on the submissions thread by Zekie that didn't have a picture in it. I sent Zekie a PM letting them know I would post the picture for them if they would send it to me, and I've deleted that post from the submissions thread. Also, there were two posts with no picture, but comments. I deleted them also. Remember, the submissions thread is only for submissions, not for comments.

Yvonne

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
mctlong said:
This is going to be a great calender! I'm totally going to buy one. It doesn't matter if my little JoJo makes it in or not. I love the way people are bringing out the personalities of their torts.

I totally agree! The pictures are wonderful. Too bad Gummybearpoop didn't enter a picture of one of his radiated's or stars. Too bad we can't enter more than one picture! Or how about a Bob calendar!!!

I'm really surprised at the eagerness of folks to participate in the calendar contest. No prize, only the fact that their tortoise will be immortalized in 2010!

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
OK I'm in on a Bob calendar. :)
Now I must get this off my chest. I think we should be able to post one pic of each species we have. (Don't panic Josh, I know that many pics might crash the site ;) ) But what great pics we all have. I had such a hard time choosing one. I really love the pic of Bixby a DT. But I guess I will have to save it for next year. :)

Good Luck Everyone. All the pics are great this year.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I finally submitted one!

ARRGHSSHH It was like they KNEW that I wanted to take a nice picture of them. All three! Uncooperative as all get out. I got lots of "mom" pictures---lighting off, composition iffy, blurry. But very few great shots. (to me they are all great, I mean calender great :p)

Those goofs. I hope I make the cut. I need a calender. And a tortforum calender would ROCK.

S

stells

Crazy1 said:
OK I'm in on a Bob calendar. :)
Now I must get this off my chest. I think we should be able to post one pic of each species we have. (Don't panic Josh, I know that many pics might crash the site ;) ) But what great pics we all have. I had such a hard time choosing one. I really love the pic of Bixby a DT. But I guess I will have to save it for next year. :)

Good Luck Everyone. All the pics are great this year.

Agreed... i had a hell of a time picking... there were so many of each of my tortoises i could have used... had to go for the Moroccan baby though as they don't seem to be seen all that often :D

Status
Not open for further replies.