neaire

Location (City and/or State)
Weston, Florida
Hi! I recently got a baby sulcata tortoise from my local pet store, and I’m looking for some advice pertaining to his enclosure. He hasn’t pooped in the past 3 days, but he has been eating. Right now, I’m using organic potting mix and cypress mulch as the substrate in a 20 gallon tank (not my first choice, but I wasn’t too informed when I got him, so I was thinking to use it for a little less than a year). He has a water bowl shallow enough for him to go in and out of and a hide. I’ve been using the desert UVB and heat lighting kit from Zoo Med (which I don’t believe provides high enough heat).
I’ve been soaking him daily, as well as taking him outside on the grass when the sun is out for about 2 hours daily. I regularly spray down his tank with water as well. I live in south FL, so I’m planning on building a larger enclosure for him outside. I also live on a lake, and I don’t know how that would interfere with his health.. however, for right now I’m concerned with the uvb and heat situation.. Should I switch out the light set up and get two separate lights to set up a basking area?

Attachments

• BEA010F2-3F88-4484-9B3A-CCA8AE9207A9.jpeg
    BEA010F2-3F88-4484-9B3A-CCA8AE9207A9.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 58903F0E-ECB8-43F6-8B78-647C13459AD1.jpeg
    58903F0E-ECB8-43F6-8B78-647C13459AD1.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    739.1 KB · Views: 5

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully an expert @Tom will be able to help you out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I recently got a baby sulcata tortoise from my local pet store, and I’m looking for some advice pertaining to his enclosure. He hasn’t pooped in the past 3 days, but he has been eating. Right now, I’m using organic potting mix and cypress mulch as the substrate in a 20 gallon tank (not my first choice, but I wasn’t too informed when I got him, so I was thinking to use it for a little less than a year). He has a water bowl shallow enough for him to go in and out of and a hide. I’ve been using the desert UVB and heat lighting kit from Zoo Med (which I don’t believe provides high enough heat).
I’ve been soaking him daily, as well as taking him outside on the grass when the sun is out for about 2 hours daily. I regularly spray down his tank with water as well. I live in south FL, so I’m planning on building a larger enclosure for him outside. I also live on a lake, and I don’t know how that would interfere with his health.. however, for right now I’m concerned with the uvb and heat situation.. Should I switch out the light set up and get two separate lights to set up a basking area?
You've got to get him off that substrate immediately. It has perlite and if eaten, it can slowly kill him. You also have the wrong UV bulb. I would turn it off immediately. Finally, it is too cold at 75. It should be no lower than 80 degrees ever, and in the low 90s during the day.

Start here:

Then read trough this one at least twice:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, the thermometer you are using is not accurate. Buy 2 of this type and put them low in your enclosure.
Screenshot_20221015-195115_Chrome.jpg
Also buy a infrared temp gun. You can instantly check any area of the enclosure. Also the carapace (top shell) of your torts. Just don't point at eyes.
Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg
You also need heat at night but it needs to be total darkness. A CHE( ceramic heat emitter). It needs to be plugged into a thermostat..
Screenshot_20210227-125251_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20211222-154539_Chrome.jpg
This is the substrate a lot of members use.
Screenshot_20230426_225331_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
welcome to the forum. you may feel bombarded but everyone just wants to help your baby survive. Tom gave you lots of good info. If you need to pick one start here…

focus on the most important and life threatening things, which Tom listed and then work your way through the rest.

unfortunatley most people start out with really bad information, don’t take it personally.

NamedNut

SW Washington
Welcome!

I’ll leave the advice to the experienced members.

Beautiful baby tort, can’t wait to watch him/her grow!

neaire

Weston, Florida
You've got to get him off that substrate immediately. It has perlite and if eaten, it can slowly kill him. You also have the wrong UV bulb. I would turn it off immediately. Finally, it is too cold at 75. It should be no lower than 80 degrees ever, and in the low 90s during the day.

Start here:

Then read trough this one at least twice:
Wow, I came to the right place. Thank you so much for the detailed information. You covered everything!

neaire

Weston, Florida
welcome to the forum. you may feel bombarded but everyone just wants to help your baby survive. Tom gave you lots of good info. If you need to pick one start here…

focus on the most important and life threatening things, which Tom listed and then work your way through the rest.

unfortunatley most people start out with really bad information, don’t take it personally.
Haha thank you!! Indeed there is a lot of bad information out there, and I’ve come to realize that from all the digging I’ve done (mainly through youtube and reddit prior to finding this forum), everyone has different set ups and information.. it’s great to finally be provided with a guidebook and expertise

neaire

Weston, Florida
Welcome, the thermometer you are using is not accurate. Buy 2 of this type and put them low in your enclosure.
View attachment 356469
Also buy a infrared temp gun. You can instantly check any area of the enclosure. Also the carapace (top shell) of your torts. Just don't point at eyes.
View attachment 356470
You also need heat at night but it needs to be total darkness. A CHE( ceramic heat emitter). It needs to be plugged into a thermostat..
View attachment 356472
View attachment 356473
This is the substrate a lot of members use.
View attachment 356474
Thank you for the specifics!!