3 plants to ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orpexo

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

I am just coming back from a greek island. While over there I was thinking about my little shell, a western hermann, which stayed home under the watch of a friend. I had to smuggle some plants from greece hoping my little rat would appreciate it since her natural habitat was not far from there. I'd like to know if I can put my tort in contact with these plants.

The first one seems to be some kind of opuntia. I have high hopes on that one :) (I got both the fruit and a piece of the plant):
p1.jpg

For the second one I brougth a branch with roots. I have no idea what it is but it seemed to be growing very easily under the sun. Lets hope it can stand being indoor during winter.
p2.jpg

For the last one, I m not sure if I'll be able to grow it, I got only a few seeds, or at least what I beleived to be the seeds.
p3.jpg

Anyone can help me ID this plants?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The first one is opuntia. The second one is iceplant. Both are edible and commonly available here in the states. I don't know the third one.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
We all know what the first one is but with there being about 200 varities of Opuntia, it would be hard to identify the exact species.

I suck at guessing but they are all very lovely plants..

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Yeah, opuntia...brought from the Americas back maybe 100 years ago, opuntia is now found in the Mediterranean region of Northern Africa, southern Europe, especially on the island nation of Malta, where they grow all over the islands, and can be found in enormous numbers in parts of South Africa. I've heard it's getting to a nuisance in Australia, too.

Great tortoise chow, though! :tort:

rharr21

5 Year Member
I do love plants, have BS & MS in horticulture, and work as an extension/county agent for LSU AgCenter in NOLA.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
rharr21 said:
I do love plants, have BS & MS in horticulture, and work as an extension/county agent for LSU AgCenter in NOLA.

Wow that's awesome!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And, just to mention...Euphorbia is toxic.

Status
Not open for further replies.