Few plants to be ID'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
Hello, I need a few plants to be ID"d. Some are from the grazing tortoise seed mix from carolina supply.

Unknown #1: Has a long stalk like flower thing going on. Have a couple of pictures to show that and the leaves.

3Unknown9.jpg

WeedsBox3.jpg

3Unknown7.jpg

Unknown #2: I want to say it's a type of Lilly. Just wasn't sure if he can eat it or not. Or if it's not Lilly, please let me know.

Lily1.jpg

Unknown #3: I think it's Queen Annes Lace but not sure, edible and ID?

4Unknown1.jpg

Unknown from Seed Mix #1:

The bigger leaved plant is what I'm looking at here
WeedsBox10.jpg

Unknown from Seed Mix #2:

The smaller trapazoid looking leaved ones in this one.
WeedsBox6.jpg

Thanks in advance for helping ID.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first one is called sour dock or curly dock. Its toxic to horses and has a very long, carrot-like root. All those seeds you are seeing on the seed spike will germinate and spread all over your pasture in the blink of an eye. If the horses won't eat it, I doubt your tortoise will either.

Second one = ? but some kind of daisy. If it came in your seed mixture for tortoises its probably ok for the tortoise to eat, but if it has a real pungent smell, chances are he won't.

Third one = ?

Fourth one = is chia. This is pretty palatable for the tortoises, however it eventually grows too tall for them to reach the leaves.

Yvonne

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
emysemys said:
The first one is called sour dock or curly dock. Its toxic to horses and has a very long, carrot-like root. All those seeds you are seeing on the seed spike will germinate and spread all over your pasture in the blink of an eye. If the horses won't eat it, I doubt your tortoise will either.

Second one = ? but some kind of daisy. If it came in your seed mixture for tortoises its probably ok for the tortoise to eat, but if it has a real pungent smell, chances are he won't.

Third one = ?

Fourth one = is chia. This is pretty palatable for the tortoises, however it eventually grows too tall for them to reach the leaves.

Yvonne

Thanks. And yes sorry I meant daisy not lilly on the second one. It didn't come in the mixture, just a few around my yard. And as far as the first goes. Seems like I will pull that then before it spreads.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's a weed that grows near water that starts out looking like broad bladed grass then sends up a bloom spike that is similar to what you have between your fingers in picture #3. I think its in the papyrus family. If this is that weed, its very invasive and those seeds spread far and wide. I have it around my pond which is next door to the aldabran pen. So far I haven't seen the Aldabs eating this weed.

Yvonne

Seiryu said:
And as far as the first goes. Seems like I will pull that then before it spreads.

Or, you can just clip out the seed stem to keep it from spreading and see if your guys will eat the leaves of the plant.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.