5 inch Leopard Tortoise Enclosure

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes. 3 or 4x6 or larger feet should last until s/he can live outside 24/7 at around 10 inches.
Too small enclosures can lead to a tortoise that can't walk properly. I rescued a leopard raised like that. He was under sized and couldn't walk. Luckily therapy and proper room changed everything.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes. 3 or 4x6 or larger feet should last until s/he can live outside 24/7 at around 10 inches.
Too small enclosures can lead to a tortoise that can't walk properly. I rescued a leopard raised like that. He was under sized and couldn't walk. Luckily therapy and proper room changed everything.
And, to add, if he can't walk then his inner digestion is damaged as well...no pooping

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for your reply. I didnt know it would be that serious.
Think about them in the wild. They travel a lot to find food. They are not confined to a tiny area. Even the biggest area we give isn't nothing compared to the wild they cover.
That's why we have to at least try to give the minimum or bigger for their size and enlarge as they do. We can never give them the size of the wild, but we should give them the biggest possible and if that is way to small then we shouldn't have them.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Oh i dont really see his poop also maybe thats why.
generally..if they are eating they will poop. If you think the tort is constipated, you can stick him in a warmer than normal and deeper then normal tub...so that he has to swim...so they will get slightly stressed and swim frantically and start to poop...works often...lol

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
Please read the caresheet for Sulcata and Leopards in this African tort thread and also
They will tell you everything you need to know about correctly caring for your tort and please also ask as many questions as you like there's always someone to help.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is 135L enclosure too small for a singleView attachment 365515 5inch leopard?
I agree that this is much too small. Four of those put together would be too small. You need something 122x144cm, like the size of a sheet of plywood, but closed in. A vivarium, in other words.

The tortoise also needs a humid hide. Open flower pots don't contain humidity.

That water bowl is too small. The tortoise needs to be able to easily climb into its water bowl to soak. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best.

Laurence

Philippines
Would turning this kiddie pool into a tortoise enclosure and just adding a lid be a good idea? Plan to own more than 1 in the future

Attachments

• received_357499750328784.jpeg
    received_357499750328784.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Would turning this kiddie pool into a tortoise enclosure and just adding a lid be a good idea? Plan to own more than 1 in the future
I used two of those for my tortoises temporary outdoor enclosures. I even sprinkled a chicken seed forage mix in it for them it worked great.

Definitely needs a top of some sort for preditors and stuff. I'm not familiar with your weather in the PI. You want to watch the heat and humidity with the pools and the sort of lid you put on it.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Not sue if you plan to use that pool inside or outside, but I wanted to mention a precautionary note here. If you use that pool (or any similar tub-like enclosure) outdoors you must be sure to put drain holes in the bottom or at the point where the sides meet the bottom to ensure that when/if it rains heavily, the water can escape. I know people whose tortoises have drowned in their outdoor enclosures when heavy rainstorms have passed through and the tortoises' owners were not home.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't want to be mean, but you simply cannot get any more tortoises until you can take better care of the one you have. To start with that one tortoise needs a lot more room...not just a plastic wading pool