6 Month Old RES Needs New Home

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
Hello,
I'm hoping someone local to the Richmond, Va area can help me. I posted a month or so ago about having two baby RES where one seemed to be bullying the other. I was hoping getting the 75 gallon tank would help and have been watching them. However, a little while ago I caught the slightly bigger one bite at his siblings face. I have removed him to the tub we feed them in. I'm much more concerned about them being separated right now, but wouldn't be able to provide another proper home. If you are interested in helping and are local, please PM me and I can give you more details.
Thank you

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
Im not local, but i would be happy to pay for shipping, if your not opposed! Please message me if your interested!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
So sorry, I was able to find a new home for one of the sliders.

Reactions: Ink

JMM

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Im not local, but i would be happy to pay for shipping, if your not opposed! Please message me if your interested!
It seems like you really want a tortoise. But before you even consider one, you need to investigate what the requirements are for owning one. First and foremost if you are planning to import one from the US is what the requirements for importation are, including several items of paperwork that need to be submitted and approved prior to importation.

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
It seems like you really want a tortoise. But before you even consider one, you need to investigate what the requirements are for owning one. First and foremost if you are planning to import one from the US is what the requirements for importation are, including several items of paperwork that need to be submitted and approved prior to importation.
I understand that, thanks for the info though! Ive done a fair amount of research!

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
I understand that, thanks for the info though! Ive done a fair amount of research!
On redfoots, RES, Hermann’s, Russians, Cherryheads...? Took me nearly a year looking into research for just Russians before I finally got the first one. Didn’t take me as long for other species of tortoise, but I also raised many species of turtles my whole life, so it wasn’t really my first rodeo.

I would highly suggest going and asking loads of questions in the threads. It will educate you along with showing everyone here you’re serious about being a good keeper.

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
On redfoots, RES, Hermann’s, Russians, Cherryheads...? Took me nearly a year looking into research for just Russians before I finally got the first one. Didn’t take me as long for other species of tortoise, but I also raised many species of turtles my whole life, so it wasn’t really my first rodeo.

I would highly suggest going and asking loads of questions in the threads. It will educate you along with showing everyone here you’re serious about being a good keeper.
Your right, i definitely should stick to one species for now. Ive done more research and decided that im going to keep a russian. I got to excited, and moved to quickly. Thanks for your advice.

HoosierTort

Indianapolis
Your right, i definitely should stick to one species for now. Ive done more research and decided that im going to keep a russian. I got to excited, and moved to quickly. Thanks for your advice.
I’m sure most if not all of us have been there with excitement.
Now that you’ve decided on a species, really dig deep into them. There are lots of ways to keep a tort alive, less ways to get them to thrive. Right now it will seem like a ton of info to take in, but just be patient and realize that ANY type of rushing a tort will cause stress and stress can kill. Learn from the keepers on here! I consider myself well versed in husbandry, but some of the people in here make me feel like a kindergartner at times. SOOO many great knowledgeable people!
Also, as stated in another reply from someone else, turtle people care about the turtle/tort much more than peoples feelings. Please take that into account when reading our replies. It’s nothing personal. It’s simply that nearly ALL of us have seen this same situation turn out horrible for everyone, especially the animal!
If you’d like more info on cold weather care or any other questions about Russians, feel free to post it or you can PM me, or likely any one of us, and we’d be glad to help.
Keep up the enthusiasm and dedicate your energy to learning everything you can.