8 year old Leopard - Front Right Leg seems stuck in s

Danelle74

5 Year Member
Hi there. Please help. Wizzer has been healthy since she fit in my hand 8 years ago. She is active in her outdoor enclosure in the summer and lives indoors with us in the winter. She is suddenly walking on 3 legs as if the fourth (front right) will not come out.
I've tried tapping gently with gentle pressure on the front in order to release the leg (I read from one other lost). Tried warm water soak and it's stuck. I don't know what to do :( you can see the normal resting of the left leg and the right is tucked in farther. I gave her lettuce as a treat because I thought she would perk up and pop it out. She popped out 3 legs, scooted across to the lettuce, Ate and moved on, leg still in. IMG_6174.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Maybe try come cod liver oil or aloe or olive oil to Lube as much of the stuck leg as possible and see if it will come out. I will poke easily at the back legs when I want a front leg or head out usually works. Also holding them straight up, head towards ceiling or straight down head to floor sometimes make their legs and head come out. See if these things will work hoping the liquids will get it oily enough it will come out. Good luck. Then give a good inspection to see if you can spot the problem. I'm guessing a slur is caught up. Then give a warm soak to get what you used off the best possible

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Poor girl, will she let you push it in (toward the tail) and over (toward her face) to see if it will come loose? The fact that she's still active and eating is good, that leads me to believe she's probably more inconvenienced than in pain.

Danelle74

5 Year Member
Ok all thank you so much! I will try in a couple of hours. She is stressed and relaxing now under her light. I will give her a break and go for the suggestions above.....will keep you posted

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Danelle, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm afraid I'm leaning more towards accident or injury. It might even be as simple as a small stick poking her making her afraid to bring out the leg. I think you should take the tortoise to a vet for an X-ray.

Danelle74

5 Year Member
Hi all. Turned her straight down without oil and put a little pressure on rear and front leg popped out. There was no injury. All is ok. Phew. Thanks for all of everyone's suggestions and support......Wizzer thanks you.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hi all. Turned her straight down without oil and put a little pressure on rear and front leg popped out. There was no injury. All is ok. Phew. Thanks for all of everyone's suggestions and support......Wizzer thanks you.

Great, good to hear. Wonder what the issue was?

Danelle74

5 Year Member
I'm really not sure other than I might need to trim her nails a bit. This is the first season in a new indoor enclosure and I think her nails are a bit longer than they've been. I've never had to clip or file them. She's really been an excellent easy pet.