A Festivus Miracle!

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member
So a few days ago my neighbor mentions she has a 40 gallon terrarium for $25. Thinking that my long awaited box turtle plan was finally coming together, I jumped at the chance. The one caveat was that I had to clean out the wood shavings-filled terrarium that had once housed their bearded dragon. Imagine my surprise when I found the bearded dragon still there. Apparently the adults had forgotten about him and he was subsisting on ambient heat, iceberg lettuce,and shredded carrot whenever the 8 year old thought to feed it. Now, I'm not anti-lizard (I have a leopard gecko) but I'm not big into big lizards ever since I got my butt kicked by a green iguana I had nursed back from the brink. Nevertheless, it seems like we are fated to be together, this skinny lizard and I, especially since I spent my box turtle money on a new Power sun and and fixture. He seems remarkably resilient, eating and basking like a pro. And though he looks skinnier in person than he looks in the picture (who doesn't?) I've got a feeling the magic of Festivus just might carry him through.

Cheers!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1419381455.227826.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Forgive me for not knowing what "festivus" is. I thought you were talking about a South American cichlid at first...

Need some roaches to start a colony?

Beardies are cool. Everyone should have at least one at some point or other in their life. It appears now is your time. :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Forgive me for not knowing what "festivus" is. I thought you were talking about a South American cichlid at first...

Beardies are cool. Everyone should have at least one at some point or other in their life. It appears now is your time. :)
Seinfeld reference. George's dad created a holiday called festivus. It's quite hilarious.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member

What's up with the roaches? I'm gut loading crickets, calcium dusting mealworms and have soldier fly larvae in my fridge, all somewhat haphazardly as a houseful of relatives is not conducive to research. I have seen the roaches mentioned but I'm not clear on the advantages.
Any input is welcome, this is a brave new world for me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are many websites that espouse the virtues of the modern roach colony. Higher meat to shell ratio, less chitin, etc... All of that is great, but for me it is about eliminating hassles, smells and noise. A quick web search will fill you in on all the sales pitch stuff.

What matters most to me: Dubia, don't stink, don't have mass die offs for no apparent reason, don't make any obnoxious noise to keep me up at night, can't survive if they "escape" in a normal house, will not harm your lizard if a few are left in the cage over night, and a good colony eliminates the time, hassle and expense of having to constantly run to the pet store for crickets. Until I "discovered" tropical roach keeping, I had all but quit keeping insectivores because of all the insects... I would not keep an insectivore without also keeping a roach colony to feed it with.

Turtlepete

South Florida
There are many websites that espouse the virtues of the modern roach colony. Higher meat to shell ratio, less chitin, etc... All of that is great, but for me it is about eliminating hassles, smells and noise. A quick web search will fill you in on all the sales pitch stuff.

What matters most to me: Dubia, don't stink, don't have mass die offs for no apparent reason, don't make any obnoxious noise to keep me up at night, can't survive if they "escape" in a normal house, will not harm your lizard if a few are left in the cage over night, and a good colony eliminates the time, hassle and expense of having to constantly run to the pet store for crickets. Until I "discovered" tropical roach keeping, I had all but quit keeping insectivores because of all the insects... I would not keep an insectivore without also keeping a roach colony to feed it with.

Any links/write-ups/further info you have on "tropical roach keeping"? Been debating a lot lately about getting some V. prasinus/macraei and such, but they are mainly insectivores, and benefit greatly from roaches. Feeding them young chicks is just a blood massacre anyways.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any links/write-ups/further info you have on "tropical roach keeping"? Been debating a lot lately about getting some V. prasinus/macraei and such, but they are mainly insectivores, and benefit greatly from roaches. Feeding them young chicks is just a blood massacre anyways.

I got my foundation colonies years ago from friends, so I don't have any particular sites to recommend. I've done internet searches before and found all sorts of stuff.

Having done it the "other way" (the non-roach way) for so many years, and now using roaches instead, I would never go back. Roaches are so much better and easier there is just no comparison.

zenoandthetortoise

5 Year Member

Thanks for the info. I'll look into setting something up.