A few pics

C and C Tortoises

5 Year Member
Radiated said:
wow they look amazing. Where you located?

Thanks again everyone for all the positive comments! It's great to see so much interest!

I'm in Vancouver, Canada and my partners are in Toronto and Ottawa.

Mike

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Gorgeous! Stunning! Jealous! Thanks for sharing.

markooij82

5 Year Member
Wonderful animals!
Different bloodlines?
Imagine how the future offspring would look like with these patterns.....

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
C and C Tortoises said:
You're very welcome and I'm glad you're enjoying the pics!

Yes, we're very fortunate to have a large group of males and females. We haven't had luck breeding them yet but we've been successful with other species, so fingers crossed!

Mike

Mike, I really hope I can have a garden full of radiata like yours :D

What kind of species have you bred so far?

C and C Tortoises

5 Year Member
Yellow Turtle said:
C and C Tortoises said:
You're very welcome and I'm glad you're enjoying the pics!

Yes, we're very fortunate to have a large group of males and females. We haven't had luck breeding them yet but we've been successful with other species, so fingers crossed!

Mike

Mike, I really hope I can have a garden full of radiata like yours :D

What kind of species have you bred so far?
Haha!

We've produced leopards and Hermann's. We've also had several clutches from our stars, but nothing fertile yet!

Mike

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Lol then please show us your leopards if you don't mind.

I'm pretty interested in that species too :D

C and C Tortoises

5 Year Member
Yellow Turtle said:
Lol then please show us your leopards if you don't mind.

I'm pretty interested in that species too :D

Sure, I'll post some pics on the leopards forum.

Mike

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Good luck breeding them, What kind of uvb lighting do you use for your youngsters when kept indoors for extended periods of time. tubes or mercury vapor?

C and C Tortoises

5 Year Member
Will said:
Hi,

So when you mentioned being in Canada, and figuring you have at least a few months each year keeping them inside, I got very curious, can I ask that you give a narrative of the inside care?

Thanks

Will

Sure. I'm happy to share this, although indoor care for these guys is very basic. This is what has worked well for me; I'm sure many others have done it differently with great success.

These torts were raised in a custom made glass enclosure (6'x4'x1'), using coarse grade coco coir for substrate. For UV and heat, I use two 160-watt MVBs during the day and two 150-watt infra red bulbs during the night (bigred, I've never tried tubes). All lights operate on timers and hang into the enclosure. I spray the substrate and shells several times a day. I also use under tank heat pads and cover the top of the enclosure with plexi. This keeps humidity around 80%. Temps range from 100-80 during the day, dropping slightly at night. Upside down Tupperware bins serve as hides and they're soaked every other day. The adults are now housed in a large, melamine enclosure.

Food wise, I give approximately 60% organic leafy greens (dandelion, assorted kale, collards, yam leaves, grape leaves, mustard greens, watercress, etc), 30% cactus pads, 5% fruit and veggies (cactus pear, papaya, fig, squash, pumpkin, carrots, yam, etc) and 5% commercial tortoise food (Mazuri and Zoo Med Grassland). Everything is fed raw and the hard veggies are grated. I supplement sparingly with Herptivite, Ca with D3 and organic, human grade spirulina. I supplement liberally with Repashy Super Veggie.

Mike

Radiated

5 Year Member
Wow thanks for sharing that. Is it necessary for it to be 100 degrees? Maybe I have to increase my temps.

C and C Tortoises

5 Year Member
Radiated said:
Wow thanks for sharing that. Is it necessary for it to be 100 degrees? Maybe I have to increase my temps.

You're very welcome.

My temp gun shows 100 directly under the bulbs, at the substrate level. I noticed the rads all spend time basking there at different times throughout the day, so they seem to enjoy it.

Mike

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Amazing carapace patterns. Incredible to see these in Canada!!! :D Maybe in a couple of years they will get increasingly common. Fingers crossed.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
C and C Tortoises said:
Will said:
Hi,

So when you mentioned being in Canada, and figuring you have at least a few months each year keeping them inside, I got very curious, can I ask that you give a narrative of the inside care?

Thanks

Will

Sure. I'm happy to share this, although indoor care for these guys is very basic. This is what has worked well for me; I'm sure many others have done it differently with great success.

These torts were raised in a custom made glass enclosure (6'x4'x1'), using coarse grade coco coir for substrate. For UV and heat, I use two 160-watt MVBs during the day and two 150-watt infra red bulbs during the night (bigred, I've never tried tubes). All lights operate on timers and hang into the enclosure. I spray the substrate and shells several times a day. I also use under tank heat pads and cover the top of the enclosure with plexi. This keeps humidity around 80%. Temps range from 100-80 during the day, dropping slightly at night. Upside down Tupperware bins serve as hides and they're soaked every other day. The adults are now housed in a large, melamine enclosure.

Food wise, I give approximately 60% organic leafy greens (dandelion, assorted kale, collards, yam leaves, grape leaves, mustard greens, watercress, etc), 30% cactus pads, 5% fruit and veggies (cactus pear, papaya, fig, squash, pumpkin, carrots, yam, etc) and 5% commercial tortoise food (Mazuri and Zoo Med Grassland). Everything is fed raw and the hard veggies are grated. I supplement sparingly with Herptivite, Ca with D3 and organic, human grade spirulina. I supplement liberally with Repashy Super Veggie.

Mike

I just started using MVB's again, I dont think the tubes were doing a good enough job. Thanks for the response

Fuexiong

5 Year Member
My tortoise looks like it might be siblings to those pics.. I'm actually trying to get rid of mines if anyone's interested. If interested I will send pics..

C and C Tortoises

5 Year Member
A few more pics

For those who enjoyed the last pics, I thought I'd share a few more.

Mike

P2054187.jpgP2054172.jpgP1067907.jpgP1067906.jpgP1067903.jpgP1067892.jpgP1057879.jpgP1057854.jpgP1057837.jpgP1057816.jpgP1057812.jpgP1057781.jpgP1057766.jpgP1057765.jpgP1057759.jpgP1057743.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Nice :D

May I know how you get your radiated in Canada? Is there a breeder there or all of them are imported?

Also how long have you had them? They look really well cared.

Radiated

5 Year Member
nice pictures. Really enjoy seeing pictures of radiata. Hope you could share more in the future as well.