a few Q's on my Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordisthetortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
san antonio , Texas
I told our story in the introduction tab for anyone that is wondering. I found this guy here in south texas and im positive he's someones pet by his actions but nobody has claimed him after 2 weeks now. I love tortoise's and have owned them for most of my life so he's in luck!:D Anyhow a few things off the top of my mind are:
- He paces back and forth all day along our northern fence line in the backyard. (which is in the direction i found him). Is this normal?
- At night he's been sleeping in the 4 corners of the yard and never goes to the shelter i built for him which bothers me. i dont know if its best to pick him up and put him in the shelter at night or just let him be un disturbed like ive been doing.
- Do I need a light for him in his shelter during these months? I know when it gets cold I will but i think its only been dropping to high 50's right now down here in south texas.

Thanks for any info !

Attachments

• 300780_10150302603056524_502701523_7700818_473221947_n.jpg
    300780_10150302603056524_502701523_7700818_473221947_n.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 21

RuthieHurry

5 Year Member
Houston Area, Texas
It's funny that you mention him pacing back and forth along the Northern fence line. All of mine are constantly trying to head North, whether they're in their outdoor enclosure, or when we just have them loose in the yard. They may go East or West to get around an obstacle, but once they clear it, they start heading North again.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
You might have to put him in the shelter a few times so that he recognized what it is.. And a heat lamp will be helpful as it is getting cold here in Texas at night...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi lordisthetortoise (did you ever tell us your name?):

Sulcatas are fence pacers. Its what their job in life is.

Lordis will eventually settle down, but for right now, he's trying to get out of the confines of your yard and find his previous territory. But even after he settles down, he's still going to pace the fence.

I put all my tortoises in their houses at night. This keeps them safe from night time predators. I block them in so they can't come out until I open the doors in the morning. It might be a good idea to hang a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) from the ceiling for cool nights. Not a light, as he needs the day/night cycle, but a lightless CHE.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
Bowser paces the fence line all the time. It's crazy how they do it all the time. I bring Bowser in at night but she isn't big yet though, but if she was outside I would put her in her house.

lordisthetortoise

5 Year Member
san antonio , Texas
thanks for all the responses everyone! I am going to try and build something along the lines of TimmytheTorts Tiki hut this afternoon! I'll be sure to post pics!

lordisthetortoise

5 Year Member
san antonio , Texas
I went on a hunt in the greenbelt and grabbed a few things i thought that were suitable for his diet. If anybody see's any no no's please point out. Also i bagged the Optunia in a zip lock should i freeze?/refrigerate? for the winter months ahead or just store them in the garage? Also i filled a box full of pads and ive heard to freeze and vice versa. any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1251.JPG
    IMG_1251.JPG
    748 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1242.JPG
    IMG_1242.JPG
    614.1 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.