A few questions on Outside Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan USA
I haven't gotten my baby yet, still preparing and deciding what kind to get but I have a few questions that I haven't seen answers to yet. To prevent him from digging under our deck how far down should I dig? and would rock or concrete block be the best to put down so he doesn't dig under it, or maybe wood? Also, I guess it's okay to leave him outside at night as long as the temperatures don't get too low. But I might feel better if he was inside at night, protective of my new baby and all. Would that upset him too much to be outside during the day and come inside at night?? How old or large should a tort be to start keeping him outside? Thanks in advance for all input!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would definitely keep a baby in at night and make sure the outside pen is predator safe. Mant animal species, including birds will kill a baby tortoise.
I use concrete blocks and put them 18 inches deep.
I guess the species of tortoise would matter a bit.
Good for you, for being so proactive!

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Michigan USA
Thanks! Wow! I didn't even consider birds being a threat! and I know I will be super protective of everything. A cover does sound like a good idea, will work on that one.

kathyth said:
I would definitely keep a baby in at night and make sure the outside pen is predator safe. Mant animal species, including birds will kill a baby tortoise.
I use concrete blocks and put them 18 inches deep.
I guess the species of tortoise would matter a bit.
Good for you, for being so proactive!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Great! Don't know where you live, but think hawk, rats, mice, raccoons , dogs( even nice ones).
You will make a good tortoise owner!

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Michigan USA
Thank you! I'm so glad I found tortoise forum! I'm reading as many posts as I can and I'm still finding out more and new information. I think I may be too over protective to leave him outside at night and I will be checking on him so often. I'm thinking of a smaller breed, Russian, Greek, maybe Horsfields or marginated. It will also depend on what I can find when I'm ready. I'd like to find one locally and not have it shipped, but I know from purchasing lizards that it isn't too hard on them if you do your research and get it from a reputable breeder.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to have two fully functional complete enclosures for babies. One inside and one outside. This way I can leave them in at night, when I'm not around, during weather extremes, etc, and I can put them out for sunshine, grazing and exercise whenever it suits me. As they get bigger I leave them out more and more.

I don't dig down at all for any of my species. I just use slumpstone blocks to make their enclosures and they don't try to dig out. Make a wire cover for babies. There is a thread in my signature for an easy way to do this.

Susan W.

5 Year Member
Michigan USA
Thank you so much Tom! Looks like I have my reading list for this evening! I appreciate all of your links and input. I will be doing quite a bit of planning! Looking forward to it!

Tom said:
I like to have two fully functional complete enclosures for babies. One inside and one outside. This way I can leave them in at night, when I'm not around, during weather extremes, etc, and I can put them out for sunshine, grazing and exercise whenever it suits me. As they get bigger I leave them out more and more.

I don't dig down at all for any of my species. I just use slumpstone blocks to make their enclosures and they don't try to dig out. Make a wire cover for babies. There is a thread in my signature for an easy way to do this.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I only put my walls deep enough into the soil, so I won't have to worry about any gaps between the ground and the wall. Grass clumps can really be a problem otherwise with getting the wire down tight. I have never had a tortoise try to dig out, just one who happened to dig too close to the wall and made me a bit worried. :D Be sure to add another possible predator to worry about.... humans to the list.

Susan, especially with the species your considering, remember to put an inside lip and especially ones on the corner to block possible climbing out. Tortoises can be some of the world's best escape artists.

wildchild6771

5 Year Member
My babies live in a boxes outside. There's enough substrate for them to dig into. They're also protected by a gopher cage that lays on top of the box. This way I know they're safe from predators, especially the cat that likes to take naps in the box with them, pfft! They mostly stay in their boxes but once in a whole I will take them out for a walk in my older tortoise pin when the big boy is sleeping in his burrow. They love it.

When it is too cool outside I move them in and put them in a little basket that has a towel inside. They snuggle underneath it and sleep until morning. This is only on very cool nights I do this. Not sure if it is right or not but I've been doing it a while and it has worked fine for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.