A few questions...

TheSulcata

Hey guys, a few questions. Is my sulcata big enough to go outside permanently? He is almost 2 years old, and almost 7 inch long, and I live in Texas so it is pretty humid. Second, is the pic attached below a good UV source? I threw out my old curly bulb... if he is big enough to go outside, can I get ideas for a heat box outside? Thanks!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482117710.330556.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
That bulb is no good. Search night box, and you will find several threads with very good designs, and how to.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
You need an MVB (mercury vapour bulb) like this
zoo-med-powersun-uv-mercury-vapor-uvb-lamp.jpg

This provides heat ,light and UVB in one.
Or you can use a strip UVB light like this :
exo-terra-repti-glo-10-0-uvb-desert-terrarium-lamp.jpg

with a basking light.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
At 7" I would leave him inside until things warm up in spring. At that point, he can live outside full time with a heated night box in his large outdoor enclosure. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

In summer, he will need a burrow to escape the intense heat. Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/

I would not recommend any type of cfl bulb for indoor UV. In addition to the potential danger, they are just not very effective.

TheSulcata

And I know they are supposed to be kept in an environment with 80% humidity so if my humidity outside is not 80% what should I do? Also, there are a lot of stray dogs and cats in my neighbor hood... is there anything you recommend to keep them out? Also, is there anything you recommend
To keep
My current table humid? Here's a picImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1482198781.682667.jpg

TheSulcata

At 7" I would leave him inside until things warm up in spring. At that point, he can live outside full time with a heated night box in his large outdoor enclosure. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

In summer, he will need a burrow to escape the intense heat. Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-burrows.50846/

I would not recommend any type of cfl bulb for indoor UV. In addition to the potential danger, they are just not very effective.
Post above/\

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What can we help with? What are your questions?

They're wondering how to keep it humid once the tortoise goes outside, and also, how to make the box in the picture more humid.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They're wondering how to keep it humid once the tortoise goes outside, and also, how to make the box in the picture more humid.

Ahh. In that case…

@TheSulcata
1. You can't do anything about the humidity outside, but you can add humidity to one area where the tortoise spends a lot of its time by keeping water tubs in the heated night box. You can run misters and sprinklers in the hotter months, and lots of soaks help too. In summer, if they use a self dug burrow, it will also remain much more humid.
2. To keep the box in the picture more humid, you need to get all of the heating and lighting inside the box instead of on top where it is creating a chimney effect and drawing your warm humid air up and out. I'm not sure if that will work with your box or not. You generally need 24 inches of inside height to hang lights, but there are ways around that too.

TheSulcata

And what about keeping stray dogs and cats away? Should I just wait until they are too big for the animals to hurt them?

TheSulcata

Probably when they are 5 years old... I could make some kind of enclosure outside with chicken wire going over the top...

TheSulcata

So you have more than one in that box?
Yeah./ I know it is wrong, but I don't have the money to build a new one right now. I was informed by the people I got them from that each one only needs like 2 by 2 feet of space. I now know that is wrong.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yeah./ I know it is wrong, but I don't have the money to build a new one right now. I was informed by the people I got them from that each one only needs like 2 by 2 feet of space. I now know that is wrong.

Well we need to see what we can do to help you. Have you got any lights or night heat yet? Let's figure out what you need at the moment and I'm sure I/we can get you some stuff to help out.

TheSulcata

I was actually kind of thinking about trying to give them to someone who can better take care of them. I'd hate to do that but I think I might have to