A ? for those who use sphagnum moss (not peat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Does anyone else worry about the fungal infections that can happen to people from handling sphagnum moss? It sounds like it can get pretty serious and I was wondering if anyone else worries about this?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
interesting .... I've never herd about that. It would have to come from the Moss spores , I would assume?..... I myself actually use
" green moss" for the Rf's ....

JD~:)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have been using sphagnum moss for my tortoises and turtles for over 25 years. Never had a problem. I pick it fresh (green). But also handle and use it in various stages of decay. Not all sphagnum contains fungus. Peat moss is sphagnum moss, in a more decomposed form.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have never heard of it either. I use a small amount of it in a dry hide for my Leo. I have only used it for about a year.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, I know peat moss is sphagnum moss. But if you read about the fungal infection it is not found in the decomposed form of sphagnum.

N2Torts, what green moss do you use?

Here is a link:
http://www.peatmoss.com/sporo.php

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yes, it is. But supposedly a large number of cases were found from sphagnum moss. Regardless, I'm just wondering if anyone else worries about this issue or had any problems.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I've seen that warning as well, but it usually seems directed to people who spend time in large amounts of the stuff- commercial gathering or packaging, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.