A little disappointed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, U.K
I can share my disappointment here because no-one here understands my disappointment. There response is "Well you have one tortoise, i don't see why you'd want another anyway!" They don't understand like you lot do.
As a good friend said the other day. "Tortoises are great... for a short amount of time" and "I feel Tortoises are a high maintenance, low reward pet"
They defiantly do not understand!

I excitedly PM'd Jacqui the other day, I was stupidly excited about the news and couldn't believe my luck... I'd found a hingeback tortoise!
So that day I rushed out to go and have a look at them. Bells Hingebacks. 2 males. So I planned on getting one.
Then I decided I'd have it as a Christmas present with a viv and everything it needed.

Plans were made to go and get everything this weekend and collect mr tortoise this week.
I went this weekend to put a reserve on mr Tort and the viv was empty. Sold :( I couldn't believe it!
They rarely get them in too. This is the first time in months they've had them in, they were 4!

I'm getting a horse trailer for my christmas and 21st but I can't get excited now Mr. Tortoise has gone :(

You lot will understand my disappointment, unlike everyone else who just thinks I am crazy!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Im soo sorry,
My family say the same,
''You could have a dog,a lizard whatever.....and we get the son who wants a tortoise...an expensive unrewarding pet''
they now dont say anything like this to me because i give them what for and show them threads on her to show how much you people care and understand me.
Im really sorry about your hinge.
You still considering another tortoise?

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Well that simply sucks, I know how you feel, kinda, we went yesterday to get my daughter a couple Southern Painted turtles for her B-Day, and the tank was empty, but luckily one employee went looking and found some in with the maps, but it was still 15 minutes of disappointment.

Hopefully your disappointment won't last to long.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Major bummer!!!! The only thing I can say is this... it will still be easier for you to get a Bells Hingeback over there as compared to here in the USA or even Canada. I do have an idea. Tortoise trust, check them out and see what is required to have one of their tortoises. I think they have found permanent homes for all their confiscated Bells, but never hurts to check that out.

It has taken me years (and lots of frustration and even times when I became depressed over it), but if you miss this tortoise, life normally turns around and gives you another chance. Usually the next one, is even better then the one you missed out on.;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Bummer, next time act fast grasshopper.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
That is aweful, I am so sorry! Give them your number and have them ring you when they get more in. Then you can have the viv planted and ready to go! I take it this was your big secret? Again, I am sorry!

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
My mum loves tortoises, she fully understands... In fact it's kind of scary she was talking about having a Sulcata adult that could roam the house, have a basking lamp in my room but just roam the house and then the garden in summer! I was like "Mum! It's a tortoise, not a dog"
I then showed her Aldabras... I think I've made a terrible mistake! They are now nicknamed "smiling tortoises" and I don't think she'll ever stop saying "Can we have a smiling tortoise... please"

My dad thinks we're over-run with tortoises at 1 tortoise!
My brother couldn't care less, he just thinks I should have found a rock and kept that as a pet!
Yet they both have been known to go and cut cucumber up so they can hand feed her as she comes running over for it.

My older brother thinks it's the coolest thing ever, despite never having met her!

They just don't understand why I would get so upset over another tortoise when I already have one!

Thanks everyone :)

I'll check them sites out.. I guess everything happens for a reason?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tortoises tend to warm even the coldest heart.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Hi
Sorry for your disappointment,
I do think you will find them easier in the UK though. I know of one lady that has a couple of them-I am thinking she may well know of the whereabouts of more. If you want her name etc , please PM me as she may be rather private to protect her tortoises from theft.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
did they sell it out from under you? did you put a deposit or Hold? hmmm
If people dont 'get it' they never will... so dont waste your time trying to make them understand..
we do.. and you can waste as much time here as you want! :)

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
Sorry about your loss. I know how you feel (about people not understanding) I go through it everyday.my family (well most) just doesn't have the interests I do. But I think of something I don't like as much like fish for example. I could care less about fish and I would think "I would much rather like tortoises than fish" and there are people who absolutely love fish and would say "I would much rather like fish than tortoises" ( not that I have anything against fish, just an example :p). It all depends on your interests but I totally agree.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
No Laura. They knew I was interested but I didn't deposit then because I was trying to talk mum into getting it for a christmas present for me. So I went back this weekend to put the deposit down. :(

haha TurtleTortoise. My dad loves fishing. I do not understand that. I love horse riding, he doesn't understand that. Well he does but his version is that they cost more money and stress than they are worth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Most people out in the world don't "get it". That's what makes our little community here so great. I think Jacqui is right. Another opportunity will present itself. Then you must follow the Captain's advice and act fast. This experience has taught you how precious and meaningful some things are...

stells2

5 Year Member
Hingebacks are out there... and there are some who have had success breeding them in the UK... it may take some searching and might not be as quick as you would like... but i will keep my eyes open for you and let you know if any come up...

LadyOfTheWord

5 Year Member
Sorry about that. Hopefully you'll find another one soon.
I too, have people who don't get my tort love. In the beginning they joked about getting me a rock instead. Although now it's changed to the label of "crazy tortoise lady" (a name I wear with pride!)

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Ah, that blows! Don't give up! Eventually there will be others. When you finally find one it'll be THAT much sweeter!!! :):)

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Something good has come out of it. Mum is letting me get a baby Leo :) she says I can have a baby Leo and viv for now. Then I'm 2 leo's towards my breeding herd.
Luckily my mum says I can have as many torts as I want. (dad says otherwise but he also said no horses and I now have 4!) I was ecstatic when she told me :)

Perhaps one day I'll find a hingeback for now I'll just keep looking and hoping :) and enjoy my leo's.

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
stephiiberrybean said:
Something good has come out of it. Mum is letting me get a baby Leo :) she says I can have a baby Leo and viv for now. Then I'm 2 leo's towards my breeding herd.
Luckily my mum says I can have as many torts as I want. (dad says otherwise but he also said no horses and I now have 4!) I was ecstatic when she told me :)

Perhaps one day I'll find a hingeback for now I'll just keep looking and hoping :) and enjoy my leo's.

Thats awesome....are you going to breed squirtle and him (?) !?

Status
Not open for further replies.